Yumas melting

Daytonsalt83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone else seem to have problems with yuma mushrooms melting. Three different times i have bought some pricey yumas and within months they melt keep in mind i have three other yumas just ur average $25 ones in my tank the hole time and havent had problem with them keep my tank 1.025sal 9.5alk 430cal no other corals have issues

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be wild yuma's.
Can you provide a pic and post some test results of your water.

#reefsquad

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
anyone else seem to have problems with yuma mushrooms melting. Three different times i have bought some pricey yumas and within months they melt keep in mind i have three other yumas just ur average $25 ones in my tank the hole time and havent had problem with them keep my tank 1.025sal 9.5alk 430cal no other corals have issues
I "had"(as of a month ago) a yuma dominant nano tank, plus i guess i can say i do fairly well with keeping yumas. Ive kept my current alive for more then 3 years, including the beautifully colored ones. Now for what ive experienced, never buy a yuma that is detached or damaged, that was just imported, or even looks the slightest bit of stressed. No matter what you do or how good your water quality is, theyll usually catch an infection due to those reasons. I lost 6 of my prized yumas just recently, that ive never had 1 problem with other then growing to the size of carpet nems. All it took was 1 night, i forgot to set my home temp, and my tank dropped just 1° colder then its usual fluctuations. Next morning i woke up, and every single yuma i had- dropped 1-2 babys each. At the time i was happy, little did i know they caught a bacteria infection and half of them died withen a week. Water quality was perfect, babys survived, but thats all it took to kill them. I cant even begin to explain how bad i neglected the tank those 3 years of keeping them, i had to have done everything to kill them (on accident mostly lazy) but never once had temperature problems. I never put a finger on anything in this hobby, because with some situations you just dont know. But the only thing differently that happened that night was the temp swing, so maybe this can attribute to a care guide on yuma keeping

Personally never lost a yuma other then that reason, but ive also never bought a yuma that was recently imported at the lfs or online.

I really think they get a bad rep because the people who import them, sell them right away. Usually leading to a bad experience

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back