Zach's First Reef Tank!

Zachary0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just started my fist tank a few days ago. It is a 32 gallon Fluval all in one tank. I used live rocks, wet sand, got my water from the aquarium store, and used FritzZyme Turbo Start Saltwater 900. I am maintaing the water temp at 79F. I added my first two clown fish yesterday and so far it is going well. I am currently monitoring Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite levels to track the first cycle. I am looking forward to learning more and hopefully building a beautiful reef. I would appreciate any advise that can be offered. Thanks!

Update #1 (8/23/2023)- My tank has been going well. I believe I am starting to get some diatoms in the bottom of my tank. On the 20th I added a couple of turbo snails and a cleaner shrimp after talking to my local fish store. They tested my water and told my first cycle completed. I have been tracking the results of my tests in excel to try to better visualize what is going on.

My Numbers:
1692830812701.png

My Tank:
8/14/2023
IMG-0040.JPG

8/23/2023
1692831232003.jpeg

Note: I think I will do future updates as comments on this thread to simplify updating.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just started my fist tank a few days ago. It is a 32 gallon Fluval all in one tank. I used live rocks, wet sand, got my water from the aquarium store, and used FritzZyme Turbo Start Saltwater 900. I am maintaing the water temp at 79F. I added my first two clown fish yesterday and so far it is going well. I am currently monitoring Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite levels to track the first cycle. I am looking forward to learning more and hopefully building a beautiful reef. I would appreciate any advise that can be offered. Thanks!

My Current Tank:

8/14/2023
IMG-0040.JPG

I like the aquascape in your tank! Following along for sure!

drdripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute fish! I started a couple of months ago with clowns. My advice is not to panic too much when you get nitrite readings; nitrite is not really toxic to fish in saltwater. When your nitrite reads zero after the spike, it means your cycle has completed.

Before I learned this, I was using a lot of Seachem Prime whenever I saw nitrite readings (wasting money).

You are performing a live cycle.

In general, ensuring ammonia is low is the most important issue. When you perform ammonia tests, you're actually getting the total ammonia + ammonium concentration. Ammonium isn't toxic but ammonia is very toxic. You generally want ammonia to be 0.

However, it is certain that your ammonia test will show higher than 0 during your cycle. That is OK, as long as only your ammonium is high, and not your ammonia. Keeping your pH lower can ensure this, as the ratio of ammonia to ammonium changes with pH. I personally had mine at 7.5 until my cycle was over. Some sources say that 0.1 ppm of NH3 (ammonia) is the level to take corrective action, but it's hard to get a solid safe number because there technically is no safe number. Any amount of ammonia (NH3) is bad for fish.

Read this article: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Consider the following graph:
1692026396816.png

Make any changes to your tank gradually!

OP
OP
Zachary0

Zachary0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute fish! I started a couple of months ago with clowns. My advice is not to panic too much when you get nitrite readings; nitrite is not really toxic to fish in saltwater. When your nitrite reads zero after the spike, it means your cycle has completed.

Before I learned this, I was using a lot of Seachem Prime whenever I saw nitrite readings (wasting money).

You are performing a live cycle.

In general, ensuring ammonia is low is the most important issue. When you perform ammonia tests, you're actually getting the total ammonia + ammonium concentration. Ammonium isn't toxic but ammonia is very toxic. You generally want ammonia to be 0.

However, it is certain that your ammonia test will show higher than 0 during your cycle. That is OK, as long as only your ammonium is high, and not your ammonia. Keeping your pH lower can ensure this, as the ratio of ammonia to ammonium changes with pH. I personally had mine at 7.5 until my cycle was over. Some sources say that 0.1 ppm of NH3 (ammonia) is the level to take corrective action, but it's hard to get a solid safe number because there technically is no safe number. Any amount of ammonia (NH3) is bad for fish.

Read this article: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Consider the following graph:
1692026396816.png

Make any changes to your tank gradually!
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep that in mind.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back