zeovit and how I dose it

solo_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rock or sand do u have? It has to be balance for the system to work. Nowadays reefer like less rock and bare bottom. It might look good but it reduces a lot of surface area for the bacteria to populate. If you nutrients production is larger than the bacteria consumption then your nutrients will keep rising or not reduce.
I have 15 kilo sand and 30 kilo dry rock

FCE47DED-6C9B-44A7-AE22-55844D3C470A.jpeg

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a lot of inquire lately regarding zeovit and there is not much info on the forum on this topic so I decide to do a brief write up explaining my experience with zeo. First and foremost Im not affiliate with zeo therefore anything I say are just base on my experience with the system. A quick over view of my system it is 600g with 360g display 2 x 100g frag tank and a sump. The tank has been running since Feb 2017 and I start zeo since the beginning. I feel like my system is doing well base on grow and color. If you want more info on the system please check out the build thread.
Now let's get to the main part what is zeovit and how to dose it?
Zeovit is a bacteria base system which base on getting close to natural seawater parameters. Their philosophy is ultra low nutrients however they dose a lot of different additive and coral food to feed the corals. So basically they lower the nutrients aka phosphate and nitrate so they can dose more amino and coral food to feed the corals at the same time don't dirty the tank too much for the algae to start. I divide zeo to 4 different category
1) Bacteria
2) Food
3) Color enhancement
4) Trouble shoot

Bateria
For me bacteria is important since nowadays most of us start our reef tank with 100% dry rock. I have read so many thread regarding tank crash or sps dying with perfect parameter such as Alk, Cal, Mag, Temp, Salinity ect.... the only factor was most tank start with dry rock and the owner don't dose any type of bacteria source since cycle. The nitrogen cycle has a group of bacteria so reduce amonia, nitrite but I believe there are more bacteria need it to make the tank healthy. Years ago we got live rock which has multiple strain of bacteria so there were much less tank crash report than now. The only different between mature tank and a new tank is bacteria population.
For zeovit bacteria they have Zeobak and Zeostart3. Most of their dosage base on drop per 25g except for zeostart3 is ml per 1000l. I always divide the dosage to 7 days and start out with 50% for the first 3 months then increase 10% each month until reaching full dose.

Food
Corals feed all the time in the wild. They absorb bacteria, food and other stuffs including light all day. If you look at those diving video the water in the ocean is not crystal clear like our aquarium. They are full of particle and stuffs and turbid. Our fear of algae is the main cause for under feed for our corals in the tank. Remember algae can make your tank look ugly but it cant crash your tank. Most of the time my corals look best when I have more algae in the tank :). Zeo do provide a lot of different food to dose for your corals but coral vitalizer and amino acid are the 2 best. Since I want to feed the tank all day I divide the dosage to multiple time and dose it. I also dose acropower to supplement the corals.

Color enhancement
Zeovit is the only system that I know which can alter the zooxanthellae algae inside the coral skelleton to give more contrast to the coral. What cause coral to brown out? When lack of light the zooxanthellae start to increase to get more chance to photosynthesis to provide food for the coral unfortunately the color of the algae is brown therefore it make the coral look brown. Zeo has a couple additive which can reduce the algae and at the same time make the coral look lighter and create more contrast. Zeospur, B balance and A balance are specialize in changing color contrast. I always start with 50% and increase 10% monthly until satisfaction.

Troubleshoot
Well all tank has problem from algae to flatworm or pest. Zeovit has a few specific additive to combat each situation. Flatwormstop, coralsnow plus, bio-mate and zeozyme. I use flatwormstop which make the coral slim more and increase health at the base of the coral. Also I dose bio-mate which help to clean the live rock with mum and algae. Coral snow plus help to clear the water and reduce phosphate by binding it so the skimmer can remove it.

Zeovit is a hand on system and require you to pay attention and adjust your dosage to provide the ultimate environment for your tank. Its harder than most system because there is no dosage which fit every tank. You need to figure out what best for your tank. The system react slow because it take time to establish and come up with a correct dosage however if you commit to it then it will reward you with excellent grow and amazing color.

Thanks

BORL7439.JPEG
IMG_4846.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4850.JPG
IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4856.JPG IMG_4857.JPG IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4864.JPG IMG_4866.JPG
Beautiful! What are you taking pics with?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible to have Zeo in a automatic doser? I work out of town, so automation is key. Can this be done? I love the results it gives.
U can but the bacteria need to be refrigerated and food like Coral vitalizer. I set up a station with GHL doser and a small portable frig
3BB7F224-3D8C-4F00-BDFC-0F0E788433E3.jpeg
3F452CD6-E154-4375-866A-D0D3E32458F9.jpeg
91991E2B-E6B6-4A7D-8EDE-6B48691D59B0.jpeg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No3 15 ppm - po4:0.3 ppm with GFO reactor to lower it
Your nitrate is not bad phosphate can be lower to 0.1. Do u mix your own salt with rodi or buy from lfs? What kind of test kit? We need to eliminate all unnecessary cause before we can pin point the source of your phosphate. How many fish big n small

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A better way to reduce phosphate instead of gfo is dosing kalk. It can keep your pH up , replenish alk and reduce phosphate.

solo_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrate is not bad phosphate can be lower to 0.1. Do u mix your own salt with rodi or buy from lfs? What kind of test kit? We need to eliminate all unnecessary cause before we can pin point the source of your phosphate. How many fish big n small
*Yes I have my own RODI zero TDS. *using tropic marine salt.
*test kit Hanna phosphorus ULR.
1 lion fish 3 inch
1 purple tang 2 inch
1 mimic tang 3 inch
1 kole tang 2 inch
1 zebra drat fish size small
1maron size small
2 clown size small
1 triger size 4 inch
4 pajama size small
2 purple fire fish

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So A Balance says to improve yellow, polyp extension among other things. B balance enhances red and pink. However I also read one lightens coral and the other darkens. Sooo, do you never dose both A and B?? What if you have red and yellow corals.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So A Balance says to improve yellow, polyp extension among other things. B balance enhances red and pink. However I also read one lightens coral and the other darkens. Sooo, do you never dose both A and B?? What if you have red and yellow corals.
As as red Coral potassium and boron do help. I only use a balance because I'm after the lighter Coral. Iodine do help pink color. If u check b balance u should see boron as part of it.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc hey Anthony. I was convinced recently to switch to zeovit, and my tank is about a year old, 130g. I plan to use the 1L bag, and was going to place it in my skimz reactor.

my friend mentioned I should start slow, and add 200grams of zeolite every two weeks until I hit the 1L mark

on the zeo forum, they said to use the full bag, but turn the pumps on for 3 hours, off 3 hours etc.

which is the better route that won’t shock my current tank?

currently, I have 10ppm nitrate and 0.04 phosphate, at 7.5 alk 410 calcium

thanks!

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since your tank is established you can do 50% of recommending doses. You don't need to turn on and off just observe the tank and keep track on your nutrient. Try it for 3 months and then u can add more if need it.

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used sponge power but after 6 months open I have noticed how my sponges have disappeared. It is not expired, do you think that once opened it expires? Have you used the coral snow diy? Thanks for your opinion

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back