zeovit and how I dose it

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have a lot of inquire lately regarding zeovit and there is not much info on the forum on this topic so I decide to do a brief write up explaining my experience with zeo. First and foremost Im not affiliate with zeo therefore anything I say are just base on my experience with the system. A quick over view of my system it is 600g with 360g display 2 x 100g frag tank and a sump. The tank has been running since Feb 2017 and I start zeo since the beginning. I feel like my system is doing well base on grow and color. If you want more info on the system please check out the build thread.
Now let's get to the main part what is zeovit and how to dose it?
Zeovit is a bacteria base system which base on getting close to natural seawater parameters. Their philosophy is ultra low nutrients however they dose a lot of different additive and coral food to feed the corals. So basically they lower the nutrients aka phosphate and nitrate so they can dose more amino and coral food to feed the corals at the same time don't dirty the tank too much for the algae to start. I divide zeo to 4 different category
1) Bacteria
2) Food
3) Color enhancement
4) Trouble shoot

Bateria
For me bacteria is important since nowadays most of us start our reef tank with 100% dry rock. I have read so many thread regarding tank crash or sps dying with perfect parameter such as Alk, Cal, Mag, Temp, Salinity ect.... the only factor was most tank start with dry rock and the owner don't dose any type of bacteria source since cycle. The nitrogen cycle has a group of bacteria so reduce amonia, nitrite but I believe there are more bacteria need it to make the tank healthy. Years ago we got live rock which has multiple strain of bacteria so there were much less tank crash report than now. The only different between mature tank and a new tank is bacteria population.
For zeovit bacteria they have Zeobak and Zeostart3. Most of their dosage base on drop per 25g except for zeostart3 is ml per 1000l. I always divide the dosage to 7 days and start out with 50% for the first 3 months then increase 10% each month until reaching full dose.

Food
Corals feed all the time in the wild. They absorb bacteria, food and other stuffs including light all day. If you look at those diving video the water in the ocean is not crystal clear like our aquarium. They are full of particle and stuffs and turbid. Our fear of algae is the main cause for under feed for our corals in the tank. Remember algae can make your tank look ugly but it cant crash your tank. Most of the time my corals look best when I have more algae in the tank :). Zeo do provide a lot of different food to dose for your corals but coral vitalizer and amino acid are the 2 best. Since I want to feed the tank all day I divide the dosage to multiple time and dose it. I also dose acropower to supplement the corals.

Color enhancement
Zeovit is the only system that I know which can alter the zooxanthellae algae inside the coral skelleton to give more contrast to the coral. What cause coral to brown out? When lack of light the zooxanthellae start to increase to get more chance to photosynthesis to provide food for the coral unfortunately the color of the algae is brown therefore it make the coral look brown. Zeo has a couple additive which can reduce the algae and at the same time make the coral look lighter and create more contrast. Zeospur, B balance and A balance are specialize in changing color contrast. I always start with 50% and increase 10% monthly until satisfaction.

Troubleshoot
Well all tank has problem from algae to flatworm or pest. Zeovit has a few specific additive to combat each situation. Flatwormstop, coralsnow plus, bio-mate and zeozyme. I use flatwormstop which make the coral slim more and increase health at the base of the coral. Also I dose bio-mate which help to clean the live rock with mum and algae. Coral snow plus help to clear the water and reduce phosphate by binding it so the skimmer can remove it.

Zeovit is a hand on system and require you to pay attention and adjust your dosage to provide the ultimate environment for your tank. Its harder than most system because there is no dosage which fit every tank. You need to figure out what best for your tank. The system react slow because it take time to establish and come up with a correct dosage however if you commit to it then it will reward you with excellent grow and amazing color.

Thanks

BORL7439.JPEG
IMG_4846.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4850.JPG
IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4856.JPG IMG_4857.JPG IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4861.JPG IMG_4864.JPG IMG_4866.JPG

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I post this 2 weeks ago and only 1 is reading it I guess zeovit is not popular anymore in the US.

Yea I’m surprised also!
I was just searching zeovit because I think I want to try it And found your post

I think half the problem is that zeovit has its own forum so not as much on r2r

Still your tank is stunning

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I’m surprised also!
I was just searching zeovit because I think I want to try it And found your post

I think half the problem is that zeovit has its own forum so not as much on r2r

Still your tank is stunning
Well the only advice I can really give u is if u decide to do it then stick with it there will be obstacle on the way but stay on course and u will be rewarded. Some people quit when they have problem too early this system need time to kick in

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend people go to the zeovit forum for guidance on that. they are very helpful there especially G. Alexander.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a lot of inquire lately regarding zeovit and there is not much info on the forum on this topic so I decide to do a brief write up explaining my experience with zeo. First and foremost Im not affiliate with zeo therefore anything I say are just base on my experience with the system. A quick over view of my system it is 600g with 360g display 2 x 100g frag tank and a sump. The tank has been running since Feb 2017 and I start zeo since the beginning. I feel like my system is doing well base on grow and color. If you want more info on the system please check out the build thread.
Zeovit is a bacteria base system which base on getting close to natural seawater parameters. Their philosophy is ultra low nutrients however they dose a lot of different additive and coral food to feed the corals. So basically they lower the nutrients aka phosphate and nitrate so they can dose more amino and coral food to feed the corals at the same time don't dirty the tank too much for the algae to start. I divide zeo to 4 different category
1) Bacteria
2) Food
3) Color enhancement
4) Trouble shoot

Bateria
For me bacteria is important since nowadays most of us start our reef tank with 100% dry rock. I have read so many thread regarding tank crash or sps dying with perfect parameter such as Alk, Cal, Mag, Temp, Salinity ect.... the only factor was most tank start with dry rock and the owner don't dose any type of bacteria source since cycle. The nitrogen cycle has a group of bacteria so reduce amonia, nitrite but I believe there are more bacteria need it to make the tank healthy. Years ago we got live rock which has multiple strain of bacteria so there were much less tank crash report than now. The only different between mature tank and a new tank is bacteria population.
For zeovit bacteria they have Zeobak and Zeostart3. Most of their dosage base on drop per 25g except for zeostart3 is ml per 1000l. I always divide the dosage to 7 days and start out with 50% for the first 3 months then increase 10% each month until reaching full dose.

Food
Corals feed all the time in the wild. They absorb bacteria, food and other stuffs including light all day. If you look at those diving video the water in the ocean is not crystal clear like our aquarium. They are full of particle and stuffs and turbid. Our fear of algae is the main cause for under feed for our corals in the tank. Remember algae can make your tank look ugly but it cant crash your tank. Most of the time my corals look best when I have more algae in the tank :). Zeo do provide a lot of different food to dose for your corals but coral vitalizer and amino acid are the 2 best. Since I want to feed the tank all day I divide the dosage to multiple time and dose it. I also dose acropower to supplement the corals.

Color enhancement
Zeovit is the only system that I know which can alter the zooxanthellae algae inside the coral skelleton to give more contrast to the coral. What cause coral to brown out? When lack of light the zooxanthellae start to increase to get more chance to photosynthesis to provide food for the coral unfortunately the color of the algae is brown therefore it make the coral look brown. Zeo has a couple additive which can reduce the algae and at the same time make the coral look lighter and create more contrast. Zeospur, B balance and A balance are specialize in changing color contrast. I always start with 50% and increase 10% monthly until satisfaction.

Troubleshoot
Well all tank has problem from algae to flatworm or pest. Zeovit has a few specific additive to combat each situation. Flatwormstop, coralsnow plus, bio-mate and zeozyme. I use flatwormstop which make the coral slim more and increase health at the base of the coral. Also I dose bio-mate which help to clean the live rock with mum and algae. Coral snow plus help to clear the water and reduce phosphate by binding it so the skimmer can remove it.

Zeovit is a hand on system and require you to pay attention and adjust your dosage to provide the ultimate environment for your tank. Its harder than most system because there is no dosage which fit every tank. You need to figure out what best for your tank. The system react slow because it take time to establish and come up with a correct dosage however if you commit to it then it will reward you with excellent grow and amazing color.

Thanks

BORL7439.JPEG
IMG_4846.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4850.JPG
IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG
Nice write up. I have a buddy in my reef club trying to get me to run this system. I just don’t know enough about it. But thanks for this. I’ve read up on it before but always forget.

All I can say is that all chemicals, foods and additives at my LFS are on the shelves. Zeovit is in a locked glass case...

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great explanation of your experience with Zeovit. Beautiful pictures.

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit is great, but pretty expensive unfortunately.
I am curious why people say this
I can see it being expensive if you start doing the color programs and such

The base kit does not seem that bad
A $15 bag of rock every 12 weeks?
I spend way more then that on salt alone

What is expensive to you?

If zeovit costs me $50 a month I’m good with it if it’s costs me $500 a month I’m not

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see the little blue bottles adding up. Of course the bigger your system the more product. $15 bag of zeolites is for 100 gallons of water, most have more water than that. add sponge power, zeofood, zeostart, zeobac, and 10% weekly water changes they suggest, and yes you will get more little blue bottles.
For some it can be expensive.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran zeovit for years. I loved it but it's very expensive and honestly a pain if you cant be hands on every day.
I now just carbon dose with vodka and use an amino additive
Recently I added zeovit zeoiliths to my carbon reactor with carbon and noticed a nice drop in nitrates(from 8-3) also noticed a jump in alk and calcium consumption as well as an increase in color. So I kinda like the hybrid approach. But the colors still aren't like the zeovit program colors.

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your great review. I've just recently got my tank started and decided to start the zeovit system after battling diatoms and cyano. Hopefully I can get my sps to look as nice as yours.

Zeus440

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering zeovit I know people say it’s very Hands on but considering don’t really have a busy life with children and a demanding job most of my time is watching tv with my wife or observing my tanks. I have been thinking of using it on both of my larger tanks which even combined is still less than 200 gallons so I don’t think it should be too cost prohibitive. I went into this hobby knowing it would be somewhat costly.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zeovit is great, but pretty expensive unfortunately.
Zeovit additive is very concentrated therefore the bottle last a year of dosage. Calculate the dosage base on your volume then figure out the real cost u will be surprised.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been considering zeovit I know people say it’s very Hands on but considering don’t really have a busy life with children and a demanding job most of my time is watching tv with my wife or observing my tanks. I have been thinking of using it on both of my larger tanks which even combined is still less than 200 gallons so I don’t think it should be too cost prohibitive. I went into this hobby knowing it would be somewhat costly.
You can start with the bacteria source which contains zeobak n zeostart3 then later on you can add more .

Zeus440

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m starting a 75 gallon so once I have the equipment set up I definitely will try it I would always see Ryan from BRS talking how much each liked using it it kept in tune and interacting with his tank.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol I post this 2 weeks ago and only 1 is reading it I guess zeovit is not popular anymore in the US.

Part of it is the Zeovit is a older system which means most of the info is out there for those who want info on it. Plus there are other systems similar.

I agree it is less popular than it used to be..

Also like mentioned they have their own forums.

Great system and many have been very successful with it.

It is not as expensive as people think it is like you said but it does require some time since some of the elements have to be dosed manually.

Your stuff looks very nice.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Bacteria
2) Food
3) Color enhancement
4) Trouble shoot

Bateria

Food

Color enhancement

Troubleshoot

Thanks

BORL7439.JPEG
IMG_4846.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4850.JPG
IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG

Very beautiful system, how often to you agitate your zeolite chamber?

I did Zeovit many years ago and I liked the results but I was basically a slave to my tank, granted this was 2008 or so and unless you went lab grade $$$$ you couldn't really get away from having to do manual dosing the precise amounts needed.
With Zeovit not only is it using bac for nutrient reduction, but also feeding the corals, I noticed everytime after agitating the zeolite chamber that everything would feed, some nights I stayed up super late to agitate in the middle of the night lol
as I couldn't afford the new fancy motorized "shakers" that were just hitting the market.

I loved the results, hated the daily attention it needed was also pretty pricey.

That being said, there are some mind blowing Zeo tanks out there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back