Zero nitrates after prazipro treatment?

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one observed zero or low nitrate readings after prazipro treatment? I might be wrong but just curious

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't, but something in it (the solvent?) can promote bacterial blooms which in turn may lower nitrate.

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost revived a thread from four years ago for this, so this one’s not even zombie status yet.

I dosed Prazipro about 10 days ago, ended up not doing a second doseing, as I it ended up not being the treatment route I need to take, was more of a last ditch effort for a sick wrasse I didn’t wanna pull all the rocks out to catch.

Yesterday I noticed one set of my Zoas that have looked great since putting them in 7 or so weeks ago (new tank, just got wet on Labor Day) aren’t just all closed up, but look like they’re about to disappear. Saw it late last night, and was only thing lookin off.

When checkin Params my nitrates read 0.1! The lowest I’ve tested put my system has been 7.

7 days after dosing Prazipro, I did a about a 25% water change, give or take a few percent I didn’t measure the excess I took from display, wish I would’ve, this was biggest water change to date so I was worried I wouldn’t have enough mixed when time to fill. I resumed my GAC reactor, as well as turned the UV lamp back on.
Suppose it’s also worth mentioning, I’ve been struggling to keep PH above 7.7, although since GAC brought back on, has slowly been creeping to higher highs for day, but this is known constraints with Prazipro from what I saw.

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can absolutely drop your nitrates. I was doing an in tank treatment on my reef tank of the liquid prazipro. Tank was about 6 months old, but was an upgrade from a previous tank using all the old rock and coral with some new rock. I was going to do 3 doses separated by 1 week each, but I stopped after the second dose because my nitrates cratered. They didn’t hit zero but they would have if I had done the third dose. Two interesting things: first, the first dose did nothing. I guess it takes some time to ramp up. Second, it only took 1-2 weeks after I stopped dosing for the nitrates to jump exactly to where they were before. I guess the bacteria feeding on the extra stuff from the prazipro all died and released the nitrate back into the water.

This graph is a few months of data and you can see how quickly it dropped during the dosing and then how quickly it came back.
FAC1C69A-3456-48AF-AF5C-958376D79773.png

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can absolutely drop your nitrates. I was doing an in tank treatment on my reef tank of the liquid prazipro. Tank was about 6 months old, but was an upgrade from a previous tank using all the old rock and coral with some new rock. I was going to do 3 doses separated by 1 week each, but I stopped after the second dose because my nitrates cratered. They didn’t hit zero but they would have if I had done the third dose. Two interesting things: first, the first dose did nothing. I guess it takes some time to ramp up. Second, it only took 1-2 weeks after I stopped dosing for the nitrates to jump exactly to where they were before. I guess the bacteria feeding on the extra stuff from the prazipro all died and released the nitrate back into the water.

This graph is a couple months of data and you can see how quickly it dropped during the dosing and then how quickly it came back.
I did an experiment again and it indeed drop to zero from 15ppm.i think the prazipro is causing a bacterial bloom

Salty716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been carbon dosing to begin with and usually stay between 5-15 PPM. Noticed a sign on a wrasse that’s impossible to catch so I dosed one of my DT with prazipro and all my tests are reading 0 basically. I should probably turn off my doser pump for my NOPOX for a bit I’m assuming? Only dosing 3 ML a day.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been carbon dosing to begin with and usually stay between 5-15 PPM. Noticed a sign on a wrasse that’s impossible to catch so I dosed one of my DT with prazipro and all my tests are reading 0 basically. I should probably turn off my doser pump for my NOPOX for a bit I’m assuming? Only dosing 3 ML a day.
Just wait for few days until nitrate climbs to 5ppm . Usually takes 2 weeks

emain879

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This graph is a few months of data and you can see how quickly it dropped during the dosing and then how quickly it came back.
A little late, but I’m experiencing the same thing !

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me too. First dose was on 1/27. That 10ppm measurement is on 1/27 before the praziquantel. Phosphate tells a similar story.

Nitrate vs. Time-2.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back