Zero nitrates in fowlr

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon barebottom fowlr heavily stocked .I used to have 20ppm nitrates quite often. I decided to add biopelets in my sump in a media bag . Surprisingly after 3-4 days my nitrates are zero . I tested using 3 diff tests . I don't have any algae in my tank. What's the side effect of zero nitrates?

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon barebottom fowlr heavily stocked .I used to have 20ppm nitrates quite often. I decided to add biopelets in my sump in a media bag . Surprisingly after 3-4 days my nitrates are zero . I tested using 3 diff tests . I don't have any algae in my tank. What's the side effect of zero nitrates?
Join the club. I am now dosing nitrate lol...I have been slipping a little tap in cause in long island there is 40ppm in our tap...yay!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without nitrates in your tank algea won't be able to survive, which seems like a good thing other than dinoflagellates or cyano can take over the tank when they don't have algea to compete with.

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As understand it, zero nitrates can lead to cyanobacteria and other niusances, as well as algae can’t grow for your inverts/herbivores to eat.
Yes very true, however never assume you have 0 even when the best test kit says it is. Many coral/inhabitants consume nitrate so you could actually have as much as 20ppm and not know it.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without nitrates in your tank algea won't be able to survive, which seems like a good thing other than dinoflagellates or cyano can take over the tank when they don't have algea to compete with.
looks like I have to remove some biopellets

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you even testing/concerned about nitrates in a fowlr?

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I was not concerned that much .. Mine was stable at 20 ppm . I just wanted to reduce water change frequency from 2 weeks to 3 weeks . Also I was getting some algae My idea was to keep it at 5ppm so added bio pellets. Looks like I may need to cut it down

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1624896768764.png

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because nitrates can build up over time if never checked/tested. That can lead to long-term health issues for livestock. It's better to test, albeit occasionally, than to never test and assume.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought teh hannah Nitrate checker that also showed zeroe
If you're referring to the new Hanna High Range Nitrate Checker??? Friend of mine just received his and it's testing WAY different than API liquid and my digital. I'm not ready to trust that meter yet.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to the new Hanna High Range Nitrate Checker??? Friend of mine just received his and it's testing WAY different than API liquid and my digital. I'm not ready to trust that meter yet.
Yes correct I got a zero reading first on Hannah I thought its an error . Then I used API and Nyos tester all read zeroes. I dint know Biopellets can be this effective

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes correct I got a zero reading first on Hannah I thought its an error . Then I used API and Nyos tester all read zeroes. I dint know Biopellets can be this effective
They definitely do work. They made my water smell funky and they definitely keep the skimmer busy too.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because nitrates can build up over time if never checked/tested. That can lead to long-term health issues for livestock. It's better to test, albeit occasionally, than to never test and assume.
That’s a negative and a myth. It have to be super concentrated up into the thousands of ppm which isn’t gonna happen.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I was not concerned that much .. Mine was stable at 20 ppm . I just wanted to reduce water change frequency from 2 weeks to 3 weeks . Also I was getting some algae My idea was to keep it at 5ppm so added bio pellets. Looks like I may need to cut it down
The main purpose in what we changes in a fowlr is too clean detritus and ensure proper salinity levels, not much else. It would be wise to utilize a skimmer. Water changes are not going to stop the build up nutrients which will have no major impact on a system without corals. In regards to algae, there’re are many more factors then an nutrients that attribute to algae problems. Of which water changes will help.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the OG question...I'm not terribly worried about higher nitrates. I worry about zero. The last thing you want is a dino flare up. I'm still in one and it's ugly. Like...super ugly.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join the club. I am now dosing nitrate lol...I have been slipping a little tap in cause in long island there is 40ppm in our tap...yay!
On LI too, would be more worried about the other things in the water i forget tds but i think mine is around 130 (nassau).
Try neonitro or seachem flourish nitrogen, just pure nitrates added to the system and nothing else

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back