zero water filter for water changes

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few nano reefs and due to my current living situation I can only use my rodi unit once a month or so when I actually am home for more than 2 hours at a time so I am wondering if my tap water is reading 100 tds but when its ran through a zero water filter it is zero tds can i use this to mix water change water and top offs half the time? the other half of the time would be with rodi water but i run out about halfway through the month and my work schedule makes it almost impossible to bring out the ro machine and actually run the water i need since i have to break it down every time i use it and drain it/pack it back up. With it removing most minerals, chlorine and heavy metals its got to be a better alternative than tap water right? price is not a concern i am aware they get used up quick and are expensive its just a ease of access and less time wasted that appeals to me.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can. But why not just take a 5g jerry can and fill it.
i take 10 5 gallon buckets to the ro machine and fill it once sometimes twice a month, but i have 3 nanos two large tanks and two 29 gallons that get topped off daily, and weekly water changes so i run out pretty quick and physically cant store more buckets or i would my living room is just buckets and more buckets lol.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have reached the limit of the number of tanks that are practical to maintain at the same time ;) We have all been there it's not an ideal situation!

You can have many different sizes/shapes of water containers what would fit in here and there. Have a think how much water you would actually need in a month for your water changes- surely there's a single container in the shape or footprint that you have room for out there somewhere..

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have reached the limit of the number of tanks that are practical to maintain at the same time ;) We have all been there it's not an ideal situation!

You can have many different sizes/shapes of water containers what would fit in here and there. Have a think how much water you would actually need in a month for your water changes- surely there's a single container in the shape or footprint that you have room for out there somewhere..
didnt think about it that way. thanks for the idea friend!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didnt think about it that way. thanks for the idea friend!
Hey, it's a community :) We're all here to help each other..

I don't know many vendors in the US sadly- I am based in the UK. I managed to find a tall, skinny water container holding 200 gallons. Keeps me going for a good bit of time and mixes exactly one full bucket of Tropic Marin salt @ 1.026 SG. Perfect!

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, it's a community :) We're all here to help each other..

I don't know many vendors in the US sadly- I am based in the UK. I managed to find a tall, skinny water container holding 200 gallons. Keeps me going for a good bit of time and mixes exactly one full bucket of Tropic Marin salt @ 1.026 SG. Perfect!
Wow that’s pretty awesome, I’ll look into that for sure.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is the right forum to ask but is the zero water filter almost as good as reverse osmosis for the purposes of a salt water aquarium?

Most of the time, yes, but it will only be cheaper than an RO/DI system for very small amounts of water. The reason is the DI resin that is removing nearly ALL of the ions in the tap water will be depleted quite rapidly, especially in water with higher TDS, compared to a RO/DI where the DI only removes a tiny fraction of the total ions (the RO membrane takes care of most of them), and hence the DI lasts far longer on an RO/DI system.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back