Zinc in RO/DI water

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received ATI ICP-OES results for my new build and the only real surprise to me was elevated Zinc at 11.47 μg/l. More concerning though was the Zinc level was high in my RO/DI water at 3.78 μg/l.

I am not overly concerned about Zinc in general, but I am concerned it is present in my RO/DI water. I have a BRS 4 Stage RO/DI Value unit that is six months old and has probably made 200 gallons of RO/DI. TDS is always and still 0. Anything in particular I should be looking at as a source of Zinc?

I have attached the two reports if anyone is curious or wants more information. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 080618 RODI Analyse22809.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 080618 TANK Analyse22169.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my understanding that zinc can be difficult to remove, having optimum pressure to your membrane will supposedly help remove more zinc as well as using dual membrane systems.. don’t think zinc is that big of concern in your reef but you can use absorption media like poly filters to remove it.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having optimum pressure to your membrane will supposedly help remove more zinc as well as using dual membrane systems.

Interesting. Thanks. I run it around 90 PSI out of the faucet. The “out of the tap” TDS is usually around 35.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS of 35 from your tap is really low.. you must be in upstate ;)

White Plains, NY. About 30 miles north of Manhattan. It is good water, but the Phosphate level out of the tap is 2 ppm.

Thanks for the paper!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water is 0 ppm TDS, I am skeptical that the RO/DI is the source, and I'd look for any metal parts touching the DI water, including pumps, float switches, etc. Some folks have found a rusting wing nut on a float switch.

FWIW, I also do not think that level in the RO/Di is a big concern.It would take 300 days of top off at 1% daily evaporation replacement to add what is present in the tank.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance you have a metal component of some sort in your ro reservoir?

Good thought, but I use food grade 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon jugs. Pure plastic. When I change out the RO/DI filters soon I will take the whole unit apart and see if there is anything questionable.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water is 0 ppm TDS, I am skeptical that the RO/DI is the source, and I'd look for any metal parts touching the DI water, including pumps, float switches, etc. Some folks have found a rusting wing nut on a float switch.

FWIW, I also do not think that level in the RO/Di is a big concern.It would take 300 days of top off at 1% daily evaporation replacement to add what is present in the tank.

Good point. It is a new system, but even on the fill, the system should not read that much higher than the RO/DI. All new components in the system as well. Guess I need to start checking everything.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is not going to be anything in the unit. Do you use an ATO? Have you checked your pumps for wear? was the water sample right from the ro di unit? or from the resevoir? via a pump?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is not going to be anything in the unit. Do you use an ATO? Have you checked your pumps for wear? was the water sample right from the ro di unit? or from the resevoir? via a pump?

The RO/DI sample was direct from the BRS unit. Everything in the tank is new. Tank has been up since July 1st only. I guess my first guess would be a 3D printed magnetic probe holder I picked up. That is the only thing in there that was not from a well known manufacturer. The other magnets are on the Tunze 9004 Skimmer and the IceCap 1k Gyre. I will take the returns apart too and see how they look.

Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnet! 'cept it does not explain the ro di water. Was it collected right to their vial?

Yep. So it is either passing through from the tap, in the RO/DI unit (unlikely) or from the plastic jug (also seems unlikely).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very difficult to give an exact answer on toxic levels of trace metals since it depends heavily on the form present (in this case of zinc, that is mostly whether it is bound by organics, which ones, and to what extent). But IMO, that value is not enough above NSW levels to be a major concern.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very difficult to give an exact answer on toxic levels of trace metals since it depends heavily on the form present (in this case of zinc, that is mostly whether it is bound by organics, which ones, and to what extent). But IMO, that value is not enough above NSW levels to be a major concern.
Thank tou for clarifying that. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back