Zoa bleaching?

Robba456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small colony of zoas that are turning almost pure white for about the first month and a half i had them they were a nice bright reddish color i got a new light and then about two weeks later they started turning white all my other zoas are doin awesome and the ones turning white are growing like crazy still they have multiplied several times in the last few weeks they are fully open and look great besides the turning white part. Im not sure what kind they are i was given them for free from a private seller i bought some other coral from. Anyone ever had this problem and know what to do i jave tried turning the light down for a couple weeks with no improvement. Thanks

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any zoas color-shift or bleach on me. I keep zoas under 100 par and over 200 par, and they all adjust without issues. Perhaps it's something in your tank chemistry that they adjusted to? Or could be the light spectrum caused the shift.

OP
OP
Robba456

Robba456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small colony of zoas that are turning almost pure white for about the first month and a half i had them they were a nice bright reddish color i got a new light and then about two weeks later they started turning white all my other zoas are doin awesome and the ones turning white are growing like crazy still they have multiplied several times in the last few weeks they are fully open and look great besides the turning white part. Im not sure what kind they are i was given them for free from a private seller i bought some other coral from. Anyone ever had this problem and know what to do i jave tried turning the light down for a couple weeks with no improvement. Thanks
20210509_161955_HDR.jpg
these are the best i can do my camera on my phone is messed up.
20210509_162135.jpg

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate and nitrate levels?

I had this happen before when both were at 0. I think I was also blasting them with way too much light (I didn't have a PAR meter at the time).

After I dosed phosphates and nitrates and lowered the light intensity, the zoas colored back up eventually, though I don't recall how long it took. 2 weeks doesn't seems like enough time. Give it 2 months.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back