Zoa care basic info to get started

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new to Zoa's and woundering if anyone would like to share thier metheds of where to place them in the Tank, thier care and what makes them tick.
Welcome to R2R!!
giphy.gif
#WelcometoR2R
Zoanthids are one of the coolest soft corals in my opinion. There are just so many different colors and patterns, and they're fairly east to care for so they're a coral for both the novice and expert reef keeper.
Zoas tend to like low light and low flow. Place them near the bottom of the tank. I like to put them on their own rock separate from the rest of my rockwork as they can spread relatively quickly throughout the aquarium unless you plan on a zoa dominant system. Try not to handle them unless you have to, and if you do make sure to wear the proper protective equipment (gloves, goggles, smock, ect...)

novanosis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm learning quickly that low light is key. If you have LEDs I recommend a lower intensity.

I had these purple hornets just shrink to micro size zoas and could not figure out the problem because most zoas we're doing great. Now the hornets kept producing but never regained that dime size shape. Until I lowered my intensity on my LEDs. Went from 80% to 30% output. So try to read up on popular zoas and where they do well in lighting. I do dose iodine but very little like once a month.

Good luck

KevD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm learning quickly that low light is key. If you have LEDs I recommend a lower intensity.

I had these purple hornets just shrink to micro size zoas and could not figure out the problem because most zoas we're doing great. Now the hornets kept producing but never regained that dime size shape. Until I lowered my intensity on my LEDs. Went from 80% to 30% output. So try to read up on popular zoas and where they do well in lighting. I do dose iodine but very little like once a month.

Good luck
Thank you for the information, I was wondering if anyone dose iodine for Zoa’s. My lfs suggested to dose iodine because mine were taking a long time to open when I purchased them for the store. Can you recommend at good book on zoa’s?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back