Zoa collectors - are you tired.....

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never understood those kinds of collectors. First, no matter what, 99.9999999% of the time other people have the thing you’re collecting, so you’ll never have wheat no one else has. And second, you should collect things because you like them and the price, to you, is reasonable/worth it. Having to have the most hyped zoa (or whatever) right now is a fool’s errand, because there will be another tomorrow. Just buy what you like.
There is a level of money, or credit card limit as the case unfortunately may be, that many of us will never understand.

You see the same thing in cars or any other hobby. McClaren is steadily releasing very limited runs of rebooted 720s with no end in sight and no shortage of buyers. None are really on paper better than the previous but they look different and are limited. Not exactly the same because you can't grow out and sell a speed tail but it's the same mentality.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these type of threads all the time, and while i hate the whole 'naming' thing and live sales, 2 polyps being a colony, etc. etc. etc. I only buy something i like and is value for money, if i see a single polyp for £500 i dont buy it, simple.
It will never stop because there are too many people with the mentality of a named coral being worth £500 and these people are willing to pay that price, so just buy the corals you want and are willing to pay, leave the (insert own words) to buy the ridiculous ones.
Live sales ive seen once and i would never again go on a live sale, that is my choice, there are people that love live sales, so should we stop them simply because somebody else doesnt like them? No we shouldnt, if you dont like them do as i do, dont go on them and leave it to those that do. As long as something doesnt harm me or anybody else then live and let live.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't do live sales anymore. I usually ended up with overpriced stuff I didn't really want because it's a race to be the quickest one to checkout. It's pretty silly actually.... but some people love it.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish there was an easier / cheaper way for me being an enthusiast to ship corals. If a fellow reefer wants to buy a coral from me, I feel like I can't charge less than $40 for shipping overnight.

This would help to stop the larger suppliers from overcharging for the single head polyps... I have a rack full of zoanthids that no one seems to want..

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do live sales anymore. I usually ended up with overpriced stuff I didn't really want because it's a race to be the quickest one to checkout. It's pretty silly actually.... but some people love it.

Totally agree. In order to win a sale you have to see the post and get checked out in under 30secs. Almost 0 time to think.over your purchase.

What a MONEY GRAB for Sellers though. Almost a guarantee 90% of what you post will be bought in under 30secs.

Say they post 2,000 frags at avg sale of $50 a frag...

THATS A $100,000 SALES EVENT TO THEM.

Not a bad way to sit back on your *** and let the Bot post frags for you.

For $100,000 in sales I would work hard on taking professional pic's of my corals.... then spend the following week packing and shipping.

I would say out of that $100k in sales they're probably getting $25-35k in pure profit.

Last edited:

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. In order to win a sale you have to see the post and get checked out in under 30secs. Almost 0 time to think.over your purchase.

What a MONEY GRAB for Sellers though. Almost a guarantee 90% of what you post will be bought in under 30secs.

Say they post 2,000 frags at avg sale of $50 a frag...

THATS A $100,000 SALES EVENT TO THEM.

Not a bad way to sit back on your *** and let the Bot post frags for you.

For $100,000 in sales I would work hard on taking professional pic's of my corals.... then spend the following week packing and shipping.

I would say out of that $100k in sales they're probably getting $25-35k in pure profit.

Is there a profit percentage you would be okay with?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in the last thread like this a week ago.

I'm tired of miners killing the video card market. If my video card were to die right now I wouldn't be able to get a new one unless I went to a scalper and paid double to triple the msrp. Now that they are using hard drives to mine it is going to get just as bad for those.

This stuff is happening everywhere, not just our hobby.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a profit percentage you would be okay with?
I ok with a 1000% profit If both the seller and the BUYER are satisfied and fair

It makes me ill seeing 1-polyps selling for $40, $50, $60, $80..... when just 5 years ago $40 would get you a full frag plug of 10-polyps

Just sad that New Reefers don't realize how badly GOUGED they're getting...like paying $8 for a bottle of water at a ball game

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean for the more common polyps youll still see covered plugs for sale. But its always going to be supply and demand. if theres a really hot zoa you want like strats, gmk, lsoh, etc these are all super slow growers, they cant be collected from the wild/wholesalers so even single polyps are rare to come by. And with low supply and high demand people will pay top dollar for them so they dont have to wait. And then when full plugs do come up theyre gone immediately even though they may cost thousands.

Globean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank you for the quick education! I'm new to the love of the reef and i saw very quickly how addictive this can be. So much beauty to choose from... I will focus on getting the zoas you listed as "less fussy" so i don't make any errors i can't come back from.

Will work up to fancy later...

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ok with a 1000% profit If both the seller and the BUYER are satisfied and fair

It makes me ill seeing 1-polyps selling for $40, $50, $60, $80..... when just 5 years ago $40 would get you a full frag plug of 10-polyps

Just sad that New Reefers don't realize how badly GOUGED they're getting...like paying $8 for a bottle of water at a ball game

I can remember ORA (I think that is who it was) getting $200 per polyp for duncans when they introduced them. That was probably 15 years ago.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I can remember ORA (I think that is who it was) getting $200 per polyp for duncans when they introduced them. That was probably 15 years ago.

Worth pointing out that Australia had an export band through the 90’s and early 2000’s hence the formerly super high price for acans and Duncan’s. Back in the 90’s Duncan’s were holy grail pieces lol. Not all together different than what we’ve seen with Indo and euphyllia over the last few years.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just wish there was an easier / cheaper way for me being an enthusiast to ship corals. If a fellow reefer wants to buy a coral from me, I feel like I can't charge less than $40 for shipping overnight.

This would help to stop the larger suppliers from overcharging for the single head polyps... I have a rack full of zoanthids that no one seems to want..
I use finiship. Makes it affordable. Shipping to closer states only cost me $20-$25.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back