Zoa collectors - are you tired.....

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was started in reference to zoas but the only using names thing is aggravating with acro and Monti. It'd be nice to know if that limited edition goblin eater golden armageddon of doom was an encrusting, cap, stag or tabling.

Names are handy but some indication as to growth patterns and background on the mother colony would be nice.
But also drives me nuts is that you don't know the plug size. The zoas May completely fill the plug but when you get it the plug is a quarter of an inch when you thought it was half an inch, Etc. Here is a perfect example. The photo online was "representative of the coral you will recieve" This is what I received. It's really my fault – because at this point I should know not to make any assumptions about size or accurate color based on photos. (Pin head for reference)
1624987594296.png

I think they must be using a neurosurgeon to do the fragging!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa collectors,

Are you tired of Live Sale after Live Sale selling one polyp zoas?

I don't think this going to change until hobbyists outright quit supporting these sales

Your thoughts?

my only issue is the price for a single polyp.
if the price is right then I'm ok with single polyp, because they won't stay single for long in my tank.
recent live sale prices were high and the normal non sale price bordered on absurd.
I gave away a $30 cert because I didn't see anything I could justify adding shipping to.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean for the more common polyps youll still see covered plugs for sale. But its always going to be supply and demand. if theres a really hot zoa you want like strats, gmk, lsoh, etc these are all super slow growers, they cant be collected from the wild/wholesalers so even single polyps are rare to come by. And with low supply and high demand people will pay top dollar for them so they dont have to wait. And then when full plugs do come up theyre gone immediately even though they may cost thousands.
Couldn’t be said any better, people dont realize how long it takes to grow these high end zoas. Most of these don’t grow like your rastas and scrambled eggs do. I’ve got zoas that will take 2 months to make a single polyps. Generally a high end Zoa makes 1-2 poylps a month

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t be said any better, people done realize how long it takes to grow these high end zoas. Most of these don’t grow like your rastas and scrambled eggs do. I’ve got zoas that will take 2 months to make a single polyps. Generally a high end Zoa makes 1-2 poylps a month
Yup i got a single polyp of both lsoh and exosphere for about 3 months ago. Im now up to 4-5 polyps, meanwhile some other zoas i got at the same time i now have colonies of.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for online sellers, the only corals I buy are WYSIWYG. I will never buy a single polyp of anything. That said ive had several experiences with online sellers that send me something other than WYSIWYG. They are the ctooks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back