Zoa colony half open

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I bought a zoa colony on a mussel, recently the top portion of the colony is doing great from what I can see but the small polyps towards the bottom of the mussel are not opening, the top part are exstended nicely and look good it’s just the bottom. I did light acclimate them so that should not be an issue either. Is this just zoas being zoas or is there something I’m doing wrong. Also I have heard of dosing iodine, anyone have any input?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably because the zoas on the underside of the mussel arent getting enough light. You can choose to leave them and they will probably die or transfer them to a new plug where they might improve or they could still wither away because they were too far gone

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably because the zoas on the underside of the mussel arent getting enough light. You can choose to leave them and they will probably die or transfer them to a new plug where they might improve or they could still wither away because they were too far gone
Ok thanks, I thought it might be not enough light but I wanted to get a second opinion I

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when in doubt, just move them to a different spot before you do anything drastic.
Alright thanks, I have heard that soft corals and zoanthids seem to do well with dosing small amounts of iodine, while I understand what you said about drastic change and don’t plan on doing anything drastic. I would only does iodine for coral growth only but I’m only asking if you have any experience with iodine or would recommend it.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks, I have heard that soft corals and zoanthids seem to do well with dosing small amounts of iodine, while I understand what you said about drastic change and don’t plan on doing anything drastic. I would only does iodine for coral growth only but I’m only asking if you have any experience with iodine or would recommend it.
Iodine is very necessary for corals like zoas. If you only have a few, your regular water changes should keep enough in the water to be okay but for someone like me with over 300 polyps, I need to dose

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is very necessary for corals like zoas. If you only have a few, your regular water changes should keep enough in the water to be okay but for someone like me with over 300 polyps, I need to dose
Ok thanks for your advice, That’s impressive that you have 300 polyps. Any tips on getting zoas to grow?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back