Zoa doing something weird

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 is about 4 months old now and the only coral I have is a single frag from a zoanthid (it was cheap and supposedly easy to keep). It's doing great for a while and has even added 2 new polyps. About 4 days ago some of the heads started doing this weird half open/half closed thing (as in the pic below). The frag was dipped in Coral RX when I got it and seemed fine.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see if anything is on the coral to be bothering it. Might just be having a diva moment. I would personally give it a few days and if it’s still being stubborn then dip it again and place it back in the same location. Since they are mostly open it seems as if something is touching it or flow has changed.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see if anything is on the coral to be bothering it. Might just be having a diva moment. I would personally give it a few days and if it’s still being stubborn then dip it again and place it back in the same location. Since they are mostly open it seems as if something is touching it or flow has changed.

I took it out and cleaned it off with a soft toothbrush and then dipped it a second time in Coral RX (over a month between dips) so I don't think it would be anything bothering it. It's in a relatively low light/low flow part of the tank. I originally had it in a high light, high flow kind of area and it really didn't like that.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's are weird,some times they are super super happy and just doing their thing then boom all of a sudden they are doing weird stuff. Just give them time,you have to do that with Zoa's.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back