Zoa dominate tank light schedule.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got quite a bit of info to process in this thread. Give it a few months now with what you've learned here and don't forget to report back how things go.

Also careful how much light you throw at them especially in the Uv and white. I find that since I've gone mostly blue with my Kessils it's alleviated most zoas issues I've had in the past.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also careful how much light you throw at them especially in the Uv and white. I find that since I've gone mostly blue with my Kessils it's alleviated most zoas issues I've had in the past.

Can you explain this, what problems were you having? I'm asking this because i came from a white dominant spectrum to a blue dominant spectrum and i saw improvement in my zoa's aswell.

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As triggereeef has said you have a lot of information in this thread to process. My advice to you, as some others have said, is to change things very slowly and try to change one thing at a time. Corals don’t like changes in their environment and usually react negatively to them if done quickly.

PAR and spectrum is a complicated topic which I don’t think is fully understood. Corals can tolerate and thrive under much higher PAR from t5 and halide than LED. Some of it is probably due to the fact that LED produces hotspots and the way light is emitted.

AB+ is good starting point and has worked for many people but there are many other options which work quite well. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that you should do your research, pick a program that you think suits you, stay with it and take your time making changes.

OP
OP
HBK's Lagoon

HBK's Lagoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do and I will be ready and processing all the info in this thread over my next few days of travel thank you all who have helped. I will check in, in a month.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain this, what problems were you having? I'm asking this because i came from a white dominant spectrum to a blue dominant spectrum and i saw improvement in my zoa's aswell.
I had a good amount of different types of zoas staying closed intermittently, sections dying off, growing again, dying off. No pests, I have a good dipping process with zoas, keep a lot of wrasses that are great hunters, and have had issues in the past with zoa nudis and know what to look for with them. Since changing to mostly blue I've had nothing but success and I made the blue changes in several tanks on the same system and the results all followed notthing but the change in lighting. So not totally scientific but IMO it's definitely the lighting.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a good amount of different types of zoas staying closed intermittently, sections dying off, growing again, dying off. No pests, I have a good dipping process with zoas, keep a lot of wrasses that are great hunters, and have had issues in the past with zoa nudis and know what to look for with them. Since changing to mostly blue I've had nothing but success and I made the blue changes in several tanks on the same system and the results all followed notthing but the change in lighting. So not totally scientific but IMO it's definitely the lighting.

I have experienced the same, different types of zoa's. They were struggling for months, not growing, sometimes open sometimes not. I changed my lighting too more blue dominant. I had 10 hours, whites and blue's on. Right now i have blue's 10 hours, 57 % and whites only for 5.30 hours at 12 % and i'm seeing huge improvements. Zoa's staying open all the time. I slowly raised blue's up from 30 % to here, and i don't know if i should try to raise them higher. Most zoa's sit at 80 par. What would you recommened? Do you want to give a bit of info about your lighting schedule?

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon lagoon. With two ai primes(not HD’s) have been running the same light cycle for awhile now and not getting much growth(some growth) or pop(no pop) in colors what would y’all recommend I try. Also no deaths or melts, 14 different zoas, and a pink rose bubble tip. If you have a light file that works great for you please share. But here is a picture of my light schedule. All are welcome to post and share their own.

Blues- peak at 75%
Cool white- peak at 15%

7e8bb7a7584e937bcbd100acb939fa37.jpg
This is my schedule for non HD Prime. Everything in the tank grows very well and quickly. Mine is over a Nuvo 10 gallon. Best of luck to you.

Screenshot_20180922-080358.png

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not dose anything, weekly 2 gallon water change and reef roids 2 times per week. To my knowledge Zoas do not use much alk and calcium. I may be wrong but I have great success with just water changes.

BillyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my schedule for non HD Prime. Everything in the tank grows very well and quickly. Mine is over a Nuvo 10 gallon. Best of luck to you.

Screenshot_20180922-080358.png

You re blasting your zoa's with a good amount of light?How many hours is your peek settings at? Makes me considering to up my blue's higher aswell.

Last edited:

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You re blasting your zoa's with a good amount of light?How many hours is your peek settings at? Makes me considering to up my blue's higher aswell.
DB and B 2:30-9:30
V 2:30-7:30
UV 3:30-6:30
CW GR DR 3:30-6:30
These are the peak times, all channels ramp smoothly. Hope this helps.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back