Zoa dont look normal. Whats going on here

Chuck gutshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas started doing this a few days ago. I thought nothing of it till today, when I noticed a few others doing it as well. I believe they are in need of food. More light maybe, I checked all my numbers the only one to stand out was my phosphates, at .30 ppm. Last night

16060643489892139595581489422588.jpg

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to jail left which looks like it had something sticking out of it is pooping. If their mouths seem to be sticking out that seems to be the way they poop

maybe a pic under white light would help more

OP
OP
C

Chuck gutshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to jail left which looks like it had something sticking out of it is pooping. If their mouths seem to be sticking out that seems to be the way they poop

maybe a pic under white light would help more
Even tho it has been a few days like this and others are doing it now as well

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, first thing i would do is,freshwater dip and swish,look for zoa eating nudi's ,hope not ,but check ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
keep us posted they are small normally same color as zoa ,going to shrivel up tiny in dip ,good luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not dip in water but rather iodine or peroxide. Rinse in Tank water after dip. Zoas can be very finicky to a few things within the tank, which some are :
Here are some of the reasons that your zoas may be closed up:
= Pests
= Nutrients
= poor lighting or too much
= Incorrect Flow (low flow not good)
= Bad water parameters ( high salinity,ph,) Salt 1.025 and ph 8.0-8.4
= temps too warm (77-79 recommended)
= Stray Electrical charge/voltage
= Location in the tank. Bottom is not good as it can get sand and detrious on surface which irritates them)

Presence of asterina stars will also irritate them or even eat them as i had asterinas eat nearly a whole colony of my BamBams. A low flow over your zoanthids can increase the chance of them become “unhappy” which makes them more prone to disease and algae, etc. Try placing your frag in a place with a little more flow.
If your colony remains closed and they came from a lower light environment, they may be stressed due to higher light at the location in your tank. Try moving them to a more shaded area for a few weeks to get them acclimated to the higher lighting in your tank.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you freshwater dip make sure it RODI water. Make sure it is same temp as tank. No more than 5 minutes ( this helps to remove pest) if you have iodine you can dip in that afterwards

Back