Zoa eating culprit?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. I'm sure the OP isn't hoping for a sequel!!! LOL
NO kidding! KUDOS to the wife though. I showed my DH a tiny bristle worm in a cup yesterday and he went in the opposite direction. If that THING was in my tank, he'd drain it and tell me to go collect diamonds or cars or anything but having a reef tank.

OP
OP
Dolphin2409

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wait.... what if there are more? What if this one came in really small and spent years growing? There may be more little ones.... there could be a sequel.
Lol! Sequels are rarely as good and in general are best to be avoided! I’ll happily be an audience member for any reboot or sequel or prequel

OP
OP
Dolphin2409

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO kidding! KUDOS to the wife though. I showed my DH a tiny bristle worm in a cup yesterday and he went in the opposite direction. If that THING was in my tank, he'd drain it and tell me to go collect diamonds or cars or anything but having a reef tank.
Yep, she really got onboard with the whole challenge of trying to outsmart and beat a worm!

I do think the fact that we still have lots of Covid restrictions here in Ireland (no pubs restaurants open, no real travel allowed etc) means that any distraction is graciously accepted (silver lining in the cloud)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it happens again.......
nuclear smoke stack GIF

OP
OP
Dolphin2409

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting (or not) side issue. Soda water does one heck of a job of cleaning a rock and bringing the coralline algae back on display.

This is picture of the cleaned rock that the now deceased worm lived in. Much more vibrant coralline - pink on bottom and blue on top

And my bicolor blenny has taken up residence in the rock - a good sign that the property was vacant!

Attachments

• DB3C368F-E61F-4526-9D7F-7E6D4C6C50B5.jpeg
    DB3C368F-E61F-4526-9D7F-7E6D4C6C50B5.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 63

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting (or not) side issue. Soda water does one heck of a job of cleaning a rock and bringing the coralline algae back on display.

This is picture of the cleaned rock that the now deceased worm lived in. Much more vibrant coralline - pink on bottom and blue on top

And my bicolor blenny has taken up residence in the rock - a good sign that the property was vacant!
That really glowing pink is typically a sign that the coralline is dying. It will come back and it's pretty that way while it lasts.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree about the coralline, you'll know if it turns white in a few days.

I really doubt our systems (120 gallons) could support two of these worms without complete destruction, so hopefully no sequel.

I'm guessing that the way we notice these guys is that they are running out of snails and other small items to eat. Snails die and leave shells and zoas do melt away sometimes. It's when interest is taken in the larger items, items that should not move, are disturbed and our interest is peaked.

I do wonder if the blennies have a sense about the worms. My clowns, gobies and dottyback lived right above the worm. My blennies on the other hand, would flash at the sand only in this area. I thought they might have been looking for food (no disease in system), but this behavior has stopped since the big guy is gone.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really doubt our systems (120 gallons) could support two of these worms without complete destruction, so hopefully no sequel.

I'm guessing that the way we notice these guys is that they are running out of snails and other small items to eat. Snails die and leave shells and zoas do melt away sometimes. It's when interest is taken in the larger items, items that should not move, are disturbed and our interest is peaked.

I do wonder if the blennies have a sense about the worms. My clowns, gobies and dottyback lived right above the worm. My blennies on the other hand, would flash at the sand only in this area. I thought they might have been looking for food (no disease in system), but this behavior has stopped since the big guy is gone.
This is interesting. Maybe blennies are the fire marshals of the salty world by sounding the alarm... "Quick, everyone evacuate the premises now!". :-D

OP
OP
Dolphin2409

Dolphin2409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's hoping on it being a lone wolf!

Yep, if larger items are moving around, then it's either a poltergeist or a bobbit worm - to best of my knowledge the soda water does not work on poltergeist

I had same experience in relation to the other fish. My two clowns are hosted in a BTA that hangs from that very rock.

I think I was so used to a certain amount of smaller items being moved that I considered it to be normal. Was so nice to come down this morning and find everything exactly where it was when I went to bed - even a little clump of about 6 zoas that are lying in the sand bed and not even attached to a frag; i.e. they could easily get blown on the current

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back