Zoa Feeding

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some coral frenzy and I was curious what the best way to feed zoas is. Should I target feed or broadcast feed? I might get some reef roids too since the particle size is smaller.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey baster. Let them soak a while and spot feed.
You can also use the juice of frozen foods.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When spot feed I thaw out some mysis in tank water, suck up the juice with a pipette and then squirt that on them gently. Too hard and they close up without taking any of the food. I've seen one of my pallys take a whole mysis once.

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When spot feed I thaw out some mysis in tank water, suck up the juice with a pipette and then squirt that on them gently. Too hard and they close up without taking any of the food. I've seen one of my pallys take a whole mysis once.
Do the tiny zoas react well? I have some sunny d's that I want to grow out. My grandis palys eat literally anything they can fit into their mouths.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys you can really feed anything, I actually just did a time lapse video feeding LRS and even some pellets mixed in with reef roids.

I have some smaller aussie zoas also pictured which I don't actually target feed directly but you can see some do react. I noticed this more in the video then when I target feed my corals. The next time I target feed on Wednesday I'll pay closer attention to the smaller zoas and give them more direct target feeding.

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small pieces should get a reaction. I hardly spot feed my pallys and they have doubled in about a month. I do have plenty of nutrients in that tank tho. 16 NO3 and 0.08 PO4
Would coral frenzy be small enough? There seems to be no specific information on what size food they prefer. Most zoa foods seem to be at most 200 microns for some reason

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Coral Frenzy will be just fine.

20170622_202146.jpg

That's a 1mm NLS pellet, by the way.

Back