Zoa flu ???

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd title, but didn't know how else to put it. I've got about 5 years of hardcore zoa hoarding and have seen a lot of different things in my tanks. Almost everyday I am scannning my frags and colonies with a magnifying glass, looking for irregularities, possible pests, new growth, etc. A week ago, I noticed that one of my frags of Pink Constellations was starting to close up. Upon further inspection, I noticed a lot of feather duster growth and the polyps were looking looking pretty tightly packed. This frag had probably 12-14 polyps, so I though I'd be proactive and frag it in half and clean some of the feather dusters off. My prefrag dip is Revive, where I clean the polyps, then I frag and then into CoralRx dip for 5 minutes or so and then into a final soak with Lugols for 5-10 minutes. This has worked awesome for me.
A couple days later, I notice these 2 frags are still closed up and I also notice the other 3 frags of these I have are beginning to look the same way. The heads are not fully open and/or closed. All 5 of these frags are in different flows and par in a 24 x 48, densely packed frag tank. There are no other zoas/palys in this tank that are exhibiting these symptoms. Now I have had this before, and most recover fully after a week or two, but this is the first time I have noticed it happening to only one type, all at once.
anyone have any insight into this? Could there be a bacteria or virus that may only affect the certain zooxanthellae that each variety contains?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd title, but didn't know how else to put it. I've got about 5 years of hardcore zoa hoarding and have seen a lot of different things in my tanks. Almost everyday I am scannning my frags and colonies with a magnifying glass, looking for irregularities, possible pests, new growth, etc. A week ago, I noticed that one of my frags of Pink Constellations was starting to close up. Upon further inspection, I noticed a lot of feather duster growth and the polyps were looking looking pretty tightly packed. This frag had probably 12-14 polyps, so I though I'd be proactive and frag it in half and clean some of the feather dusters off. My prefrag dip is Revive, where I clean the polyps, then I frag and then into CoralRx dip for 5 minutes or so and then into a final soak with Lugols for 5-10 minutes. This has worked awesome for me.
A couple days later, I notice these 2 frags are still closed up and I also notice the other 3 frags of these I have are beginning to look the same way. The heads are not fully open and/or closed. All 5 of these frags are in different flows and par in a 24 x 48, densely packed frag tank. There are no other zoas/palys in this tank that are exhibiting these symptoms. Now I have had this before, and most recover fully after a week or two, but this is the first time I have noticed it happening to only one type, all at once.
anyone have any insight into this? Could there be a bacteria or virus that may only affect the certain zooxanthellae that each variety contains?
Following

Back