OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird that's not what mine said. Regardless I think I should order some test solutions. I think it may be high even though most are doing better. I notice my clowns are sitting at the top and they look like they have to do some effort to go lower in the tank.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference in the test solution, and just getting a sealable cup with water in it with the proper salinity?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference in the test solution, and just getting a sealable cup with water in it with the proper salinity?
I think as long as you have an accurate mix you should be ok.
IMG_0475.JPG

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow yours hardcore says it lol mine came with directions folded up maybe the size of a business card when opened.

brian2kgt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make a correction to my last post. I did a little reading to verify what I said and I had it backwards. A refractometer calibrated with distilled water will read higher than your actual salinity is. So this means your salinity would be lower and this wouldn't account for your high Cal and Mg. If anything they would also be low, so I'm not sure that is your problem. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can verify this as he is the one that wrote the article I am referencing.

I would still calibrate your refractometer with calibration solution though. These refractometers aren't actually made for seawater, they are made to measure a brine solution which is different, that is why we can't follow the manufacturers directions for calibration. We calibrate them with a 35ppt seawater solution to make them more accurate for us.

brian2kgt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add, while reading about calibration with distilled water, I came across a thread where someone was calibrating with distilled and then bought a calibration solution. They found out their water was actually 1.020 instead of the 1.026 they thought it was. Interestingly, they were also having problems with zoas.

I'm still confused about the high Cal and Mg though. Maybe you did just get a bad batch of salt. Have you tried testing some newly mixed saltwater to see its Cal and Mg levels? You can also get a ballpark idea if your refractometer is way off. 1/2 cup of Reef Crystals per gallon should mix up to about 1.021.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything was doing better and then last night I topped water off and they sent doing as well today so I ordered the solution and setting up ato this week

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can do is one problem at a time I imagine before anything know that the right mixture is there is the best start

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I took the salinity tester to have it calibrated at the LFS and it was .001 off so it's not 1.025 its 1.026... not the problem.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my tank water 1900mg a fresh mix of saltwater 1700mg and my plain rodi water 0mg super high saltwater from the go.. but how would it go higher being in the tank?

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is magnesium in my tap water lol I poured it in the sink and once water touched it to rinse the sink out it turned pink lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back