Zoa garden Goodness

Coral Passion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the first zoa I added to my tank, bought December 2016. Since then I have fragged about 200 polyps from it. Most of the growth in may gardens has happened in the last 12 months and I believe it was when I raised the height of my leds and reduced the white spectrum. Also started to dose Kh, Ca and Mg and keep those parameters more stable.

Levels
Kh - 10
Ca - 450
Mg - 1300
12c93713044455965bdd9e4572031b31.jpg

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here is the first zoa I added to my tank, bought December 2016. Since then I have fragged about 200 polyps from it. Most of the growth in may gardens has happened in the last 12 months and I believe it was when I raised the height of my leds and reduced the white spectrum. Also started to dose Kh, Ca and Mg and keep those parameters more stable.

I'm curious, did you start dosing B-ionic or another product? I'm a big fan of the product and recently incorporated the Mg supplement as well. I dose about 60ml of Kh and Ca directly into the aquarium (via auto doser) and about 10ml of Kh (net volume 330gal). I swear by B-Ionic. Have you tried Vitamin C dosing?

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best picture I have, and it's a crop of a panorama shot I took of the tank. The garden sits toward the back of the tank, and I wont get a decent pic of it until I invest into a top down viewer. I have utter's, sunny d's, treehouse of horror, magicians, armor of god, devils armour, fire and ice (I think), and the green one I don't remember the name of. That's a shame too, because its the fastest growing one I have. Also put in a full tank shot. Side note, I don't have that many fire fish, I guess they moved around while I was doing the panorama shot, so it looks like I have a ton of them. Shots are taken with my iphone and one of the clip on lenses with the gel filter.

IMG_1750 ZOA.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

Coral Passion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, did you start dosing B-ionic or another product? I'm a big fan of the product and recently incorporated the Mg supplement as well. I dose about 60ml of Kh and Ca directly into the aquarium (via auto doser) and about 10ml of Kh (net volume 330gal). I swear by B-Ionic. Have you tried Vitamin C dosing?
For Kh I dose bicarbonate soda, Ca calcium chloride and for mg I dose Tropic Marin balling salt part C all done on dosing pumps. I add some seachem trace elements aswell by hand twice a week if I remember. Am dosing 280ml of each solution a day.

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
For Kh I dose bicarbonate soda, Ca calcium chloride and for mg I dose Tropic Marin balling salt part C all done on dosing pumps. I add some seachem trace elements aswell by hand twice a week if I remember. Am dosing 280ml of each solution a day.

Very cool. Have you been target feeding?

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This is the best picture I have, and it's a crop of a panorama shot I took of the tank. The garden sits toward the back of the tank, and I wont get a decent pic of it until I invest into a top down viewer. I have utter's, sunny d's, treehouse of horror, magicians, armor of god, devils armour, fire and ice (I think), and the green one I don't remember the name of. That's a shame too, because its the fastest growing one I have. Also put in a full tank shot. Side note, I don't have that many fire fish, I guess they moved around while I was doing the panorama shot, so it looks like I have a ton of them. Shots are taken with my iphone and one of the clip on lenses with the gel filter.

I love what you have going there. Is the zoa rock attached to something below or anchored somehow against the back wall?

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here is two of mine, the only two who seem to be happiest. I’m still fighting hair algae and pull it off daily around the other zoas.

Getting that hair algae under control would be clutch in order to grow out your garden. Are you nutrients high? Do you happen to run a Phosphate reactor? Skimmer?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer, yes. It’s the Hydor Slim Skim, in tank though since I now have a sump I’ve placed it in there. No reactor.

As for my levels I’ll have to test though I warn you it’s just the basic fw api kit. I do have a Red Sea kit in transit, with phosphate and nitrate tests. Hoping no later than Monday. In the meantime I can give ammonia nitrite nitrate salinity calcium and ph. Lol.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love what you have going there. Is the zoa rock attached to something below or anchored somehow against the back wall?

No It's one big piece that cemented together. That piece a friend of mine actually built. He likes to scape and build structures, so when I was doing mine he asked if he could have some fun. I've seen what he can do so I took him some rock and some cement and said go for it. Here is a little better shot of it right after I turned the tank on. It's got a big base rock then a kind of spine and then the top section.

IMG_1442.jpg

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
No It's one big piece that cemented together. That piece a friend of mine actually built. He likes to scape and build structures, so when I was doing mine he asked if he could have some fun. I've seen what he can do so I took him some rock and some cement and said go for it. Here is a little better shot of it right after I turned the tank on. It's got a big base rock then a kind of spine and then the top section.

It's the perfect balance between artsy and consistent with the rest of your scape. I have two major structures I built years ago and while I'd like to make one more piece I have been unable to come up with anything I really love.

Here's a FTS of mine

IMG_8679.JPG

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the perfect balance between artsy and consistent with the rest of your scape. I have two major structures I built years ago and while I'd like to make one more piece I have been unable to come up with anything I really love.

Here's a FTS of mine

IMG_8679.JPG

Yeah it worked out, I had no idea what he was going to do but he had something in mind when he started. He asked if I cared and I said no, its whatever. He kept me updated while he did it and I could see where he was going. Between the two of us we spent about 3 weeks slowly putting it together. The other pieces are cemented as well, with the exception of the small piece with rock flowers, it's just one big rock.

I like your tank and I feel you on adding some. The area on the left of mine has some sand bed hidden and kind of useless for displaying any coral. So I want to had some rock back there just can't seem to get the look I have pictured in my head.

question, is your rock cemented? When it comes time to propagate some Zoa, what is your plan?

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Below are two pics of my rock structure circa 2012 (my 130 gal at apartment in the city) and 2015 (my 75 at my first apartment with my wife). It goes without saying the coral has not been in a static state all these years.

IMG_9835.PNG
IMG_9836.PNG

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Tonga rock is going to look A+ -mazing once everything starts to fill in.
Thanks. I have a couple other branch’s left I was considering adding to the top of the structure. Any input? One is just a stick branch and one is a curved stick that splits right at the end. Thanks

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks. I have a couple other branch’s left I was considering adding to the top of the structure. Any input? One is just a stick branch and one is a curved stick that splits right at the end. Thanks

I think Tonga rock might be the most difficult to work with. Its very easy to put something together only to have it look overly contrived after the fact. I'm actually struggling with the same thing right now. In the full tank shot above I have a pile of tonga rock towards the right between the two structures. The rub is that if the rock is oriented too vertically the zoas will only grow up and you'll have to add another frag to the base in time. Additionally, the stuff growing up will compete with any zoas above it. Orienting the pieces horizontally gives you a better foundation but it can cast shadows and you might not be able to use the rock as creatively. If you can work them in at 50° to 60° angle that's probably your best bet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back