Zoa ID and placement

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! First post in R2R, great to meet you all!

I just had a quick question regarding a zoa frag I just purchased and was wondering if anyone has an ID on what it is?

Along with that, in this position will it be able to grow onto the rock later and hide the frag "stand"? (Not sure the correct terminology yet)

Thank you guys! Excited to learn more from you all!

B0628817-7EF1-4F37-A989-4FC99A2AE11F.jpeg BD254640-88A5-432B-AA50-AEFCDE6885D0.jpeg

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just had a quick question regarding a zoa frag I just purchased and was wondering if anyone has an ID on what it is?

Along with that, in this position will it be able to grow onto the rock later and hide the frag "stand"? (Not sure the correct terminology yet)

B0628817-7EF1-4F37-A989-4FC99A2AE11F.jpeg BD254640-88A5-432B-AA50-AEFCDE6885D0.jpeg
It will grow fine like that. The “stand” is technically called a “frag plug”

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*some* zoanthids *might* contain palytoxin, one of the deadliest toxins in the world. Not all are dangerous, but it’s best to treat them like they all are. However, if you take precautions, you have nothing to fear.
-don’t touch them bare handed
-wear PPE (gloves, goggles, possibly a mask) when handling them out of water
-don’t expose them to extreme heat
Zoanthids are a beautiful addition to your tank and you should definitely keep them! But don’t be an idiot around them.

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*some* zoanthids *might* contain palytoxin, one of the deadliest toxins in the world. Not all are dangerous, but it’s best to treat them like they all are. However, if you take precautions, you have nothing to fear.
-don’t touch them bare handed
-wear PPE (gloves, goggles, possibly a mask) when handling them out of water
-don’t expose them to extreme heat
Zoanthids are a beautiful addition to your tank and you should definitely keep them! But don’t be an idiot around them.
I was unaware of this and my LFS said nothing regarding this when asking is there anything I should know. I placed it into the tank bare handed. Should I be concerned?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

These are not dangerous- certain Paly such as Grandis are. Pic is a little distant to clearly identify but lower third to mid tank best under moderate light and water flow and feed 2x a week. Adding occasionally Iodide and stronium helps their color and growth

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not dangerous- certain Paly such as Grandis are. Pic is a little distant to clearly identify but lower third to mid tank best under moderate light and water flow and feed 2x a week. Adding occasionally Iodide and stronium helps their color and growth
Thank you, I was concerned since I was unaware of the dangers and started to freak myself out. I will still treat it as dangerous just for precaution. What do you recommend for food?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you, I was concerned since I was unaware of the dangers and started to freak myself out. I will still treat it as dangerous just for precaution. What do you recommend for food?
Mysis shrimp or Reef roids mixed with Red Sea AB+

Just a sample of my many zoa

1690505941577.png
1690506013192.png

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freaked out when I first heard about this as well. Again, not all are dangerous, and even dangerous ones rarely hurt people unless seriously mishandled. They are photosynthetic, but will consume plankton, frozen shrimp, and even flakes and pellets.

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis shrimp or Reef roids mixed with Red Sea AB+

Just a sample of my many zoa

1690505941577.png
1690506013192.png
You've never had an issue with toxins or anything? I had picked it up with bare hands to place into the tank.

I have mysis shrimp already, should I use a pipet and feed directly?

Beautiful tank man! I love it!

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother feeding them. Can spike nutrients and they really won't eat large mysis. Just leave them be, they should get all they need from your light. trust me some zoa variants are weeds once they take off and can sprout 10+ new polyps a month under the right conditions.

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freaked out when I first heard about this as well. Again, not all are dangerous, and even dangerous ones rarely hurt people unless seriously mishandled. They are photosynthetic, but will consume plankton, frozen shrimp, and even flakes and pellets.
Thank you for informing me though. I did not do well enough research and it shows.

Thank you so much for your help!

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've never had an issue with toxins or anything? I had picked it up with bare hands to place into the tank.

I have mysis shrimp already, should I use a pipet and feed directly?

Beautiful tank man! I love it!
I work at a lfs, I never wear gloves or anything when working in the coral tank, including when pulling out zoas to sell. If they are dangerous at all, they will do the most damage if you have open cuts on your hands. I did not mean to make you freak out, and I apologize if I made them sound worse than they are. Do not boil them on the stove, and take precautions when they are exposed to air for extended periods of time. Other than that, you have little reason to worry.

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother feeding them. Can spike nutrients and they really won't eat large mysis. Just leave them be, they should get all they need from your light. trust me some zoa variants are weeds once they take off and can sprout 10+ new polyps a month under the right conditions.
How would I go about maintaining how much it grows?

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about maintaining how much it grows
Are these your first coral? I'd just let them spread if so. Once those start growing get some other color variants and make a little garden :).

If they do become a nuisance you can always put a more potent coral near them.

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a lfs, I never wear gloves or anything when working in the coral tank, including when pulling out zoas to sell. If they are dangerous at all, they will do the most damage if you have open cuts on your hands. I did not mean to make you freak out, and I apologize if I made them sound worse than they are. Do not boil them on the stove, and take precautions when they are exposed to air for extended periods of time. Other than that, you have little reason to worry.
Thank you again, I seriously appreciate the help. It was more of a fear it took until now to learn about this, no need to apologize!

I will take the proper precautions when handling from now on and make sure there are no open wounds.

I cannot thank you enough! I have done freshwater up until recently and there's a lot to learn about saltwater.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about maintaining how much it grows?
You can cut them out with a scalpel/bone cutters (can be purchased at your lfs). You can also use aiptasia removal methods. Or, you can prevent them from getting out of control at all by isolating them on a rock “island” surrounded by sand.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back