OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these your first coral? I'd just let them spread if so. Once those start growing get some other color variants and make a little garden :).

If they do become a nuisance you can always put a more potent coral near them.
This is my first coral! I have an rbta that I let establish his spot first then went out and got this one.

I want good coverage and let the corals grow and thrive but didn't know how fast it will spread or if I should be maintaining it in any way.

OP
OP
D

devnellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut them out with a scalpel/bone cutters (can be purchased at your lfs). You can also use aiptasia removal methods. Or, you can prevent them from getting out of control at all by isolating them on a rock “island” surrounded by sand.
Luckily it's on its own rock island as is just a little close to another rock.

Thank you for that. I didn't know how cutting would work with the potential of any toxin.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily it's on its own rock island as is just a little close to another rock.

Thank you for that. I didn't know how cutting would work with the potential of any toxin.
If they are dangerous, any toxins can be neutralized by something called Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC for short). it’s basically ground charcoal, and it will remove any and all chemicals from the water.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are dangerous, any toxins can be neutralized by something called Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC for short). it’s basically ground charcoal, and it will remove any and all chemicals from the water.
You can put it in the media chamber of your filter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You've never had an issue with toxins or anything? I had picked it up with bare hands to place into the tank.

I have mysis shrimp already, should I use a pipet and feed directly?

Beautiful tank man! I love it!
I move them occasionally especially as they swim. never an issue. Most of the risk again is with palythoa and its all based on handling error, and failure to protect. I wear gloves and safety glasses. A couple of times I moved coral with no protection and no issue.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back