Zoa ID - If this one is a Bam Bam, What's the other one? Or a tale of two Bam Bams?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these in my tank. Both on the same rock and they are most defiantly different. In normal and blue light one is much brighter orange than the other. I want to apologize for the quality of the photos as I didn't have my Iphone handy and had to use my camera on a tripod. ;)

They are most defiantly different albeit very suttle. But seeing them on the same rock you can tell form the brightness coloration that they are different.

This is the Bam Bam notice how the inner circle has a very defined edge.
zoa-3070.jpg

This is the one I want to ID. The inner circle is a more fade to purple than a defined line. Also the one below the orange is much brighter although tough to tell in the photos. It's also just a little bigger than the bam bam.

zoa-2952.jpg

Now it would not surprise me at all if someone says, I got them backwards and the top one is miss identified as a Bam Bam and it's the bottom one that is a Bam Bam.. LOL.

OK, here's the cruddy Iphone picture but you can see the brightness difference under blues.
zoa1edit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another shot. Bam Bams on the left, unknown on the right.
zoa-3079.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I believe you have actually confused your zoas somewhere, which is very easy to do as yours look quite similar. These are Bam Bams. As you so eloquently explained, these have orange centers fading to purple then an immediate change to an orange skirt.
129860BA-C4FA-4AC0-B129-D0006F4AC7B4.png

The ones you labeled as bam bam, are actually called Clementines. The difference between them and the bam bam being the shift from mouth to body coloration. Clementines are also known for being a smaller zoa, so your finding of the bam bams being slightly larger is correct.
279F99D3-5AE1-47BA-BCB3-03B8A3986F4D.png

I hope this has been helpful for you!
Love, Footgal

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back