Zoa ID

ReeferBrandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this zoa at my lfs but I don't know the name of them? Do you guys know what they're called?
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you take pics under white lights for true color?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt have the striping of AoG's.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are very similar. I guess I thought the striping was a little more pronounced in AoG's compared to Devils Armor, but I'm not seeing it in these pics.

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go with Devil's Armor as well! Armor of Gods and Devil's Armor get mixed up quite a bit unfortunately and some sellers/ hobbyist don't notice the difference enough to give them the correct name.

Devil's Armor and Armor of Gods were named a very long time ago, they're pretty much classic pieces now.

Here is a photo of Armor of Gods back from 2009, photo taken and posted by none other than our very own @revhtree ! This morph was named by a reefer with the username of "Mr. Ugly" back in 2005. Armor of Gods have grey lashes with some faint hints of green and the body should be a bright metallic red/ orange striation.
1624645975565.png

Here's a photo of Devil's Armor from 2013 by @joshporksandwich , which shows them grown out into a gorgeous colony. They were named by a reefer with the username "NAA" back in 2006. Devil's Armors have more blue on the body. The center of the polyp has a much larger blue center compared to Armor of Gods. The body has a splattered blue pattern that can form a ring (as in in the below photo) and tends to have a orange/red/ pinkish hue.
1624646083725.png

Hopefully this helps clear up the difference between the two trade names! From your photo, it looks much closer to Devil's Armor based on the splotchy/ speckled pattern.

Cheers,
Darwin

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad to know I didnt just make up the striping thing. Its definitely more pronounced in legit AoG's. Those other pics had me questioning myself.

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad to know I didnt just make up the striping thing. Its definitely more pronounced in legit AoG's. Those other pics had me questioning myself.
No worries, unfortunately not all vendors have the correct ID when it comes to zoanthids. Most vendors use names on the corals they sell as a selling reference for what coral morph they have in stock since they're trade names. This causes a lot of confusion, and is the reason why some coral morphs/ strains end up with new names as well. I like to think it's not always done to try and sell a coral for more money, but sometimes because they're like normal folks and also get confused on the names!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back