Zoa opening- How long is this going to take?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first coral ever- treehouse of horror zoas. they arrived a day early and I had less time to handle them than I would have liked. With that being said, I started with a Bayers dip, followed by a Polyp Labs Reef Primer dip, followed by a hydrogen peroxide dip, and finally a freshwater dip. Between each I dunked the coral in a container of untreated saltwater. Each dip was probably 1-3 minutes long. Then, I chopped off the "dowel" portion of the frag plug so the disk could sit on my rock work, and placed it in my tank. Unfortunately, it's been 2-3 hours, and the polyps have not extended at all. Given Im new to coral the inevitable question is whether it's dead or just will take more time. Any thoughts?
tempImage40AoC6.jpg
IMG_98DC20A53E31-1.jpeg

How long should I expect the polyps to take to open like that?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say thats a lot of dips.... give him overnight, thats how long it takes my corals to open. the dips might be the problem if he doest open up. a lot of stress

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say thats a lot of dips.... give him overnight, thats how long it takes my corals to open. the dips might be the problem if he doest open up. a lot of stress
Is that to suggest I was stupid for using so many dips? Now you have me worried!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel that all the dips are overkill. i do one dip so it gets most of the baddies and less stress for the coral

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that to suggest I was stupid for using so many dips? Now you have me worried!
That's a lot of dips, but it certainly doesn't mean your stupid! A dip with one good dip product should be enough. Just follow the directions on the bottle. They will open. Just give them until tomorrow.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Reeflix. I just got some zoas two days ago - they opened right away. But I don't dip my corals so they probably were not too stressed out.
i feel that all the dips are overkill. i do one dip so it gets most of the baddies and less stress for the coral
is this to say that a multi dip process was a death sentence???

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this to say that a multi dip process was a death sentence???
Not a death sentence, maybe just a bit much. Give them time. Give them overnight and see if they open tomorrow. Messing with them any more at this point will cause them more stress.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave them alone and maybe feed it once tomorrow. dont do this many dips next time. it should open up within two days

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah I would certainly say so. The coral is already stressed by being shipped so that many dips really has that thing ticked off. They could open up tomm or then could open up a month from now. Only time will tell

Drumstin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are thriving in my main tank. I took a frag out and placed in a second tank that I havnt balanced lighting and flow just yet and few weeks later these zoas shrank and then finally closed… put the plug back in main tank several days ago. Took maybe 2 days to open and then they are still tiny. So they are recovering way slower than I expected but heading in the right direction. One thing I have learned is that different zoas act way different. Even if their shape is identical to other colors some are slow slow and some multiply like mad! Good luck man! I’m sure they’ll come around.

Drumstin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are thriving in my main tank. I took a frag out and placed in a second tank that I havnt balanced lighting and flow just yet and few weeks later these zoas shrank and then finally closed… put the plug back in main tank several days ago. Took maybe 2 days to open and then they are still tiny. So they are recovering way slower than I expected but heading in the right direction. One thing I have learned is that different zoas act way different. Even if their shape is identical to other colors some are slow slow and some multiply like mad! Good luck man! I’m sure they’ll come around.
Look at them compared to their brothers they were taken from lol.

Attachments

• CB8800EA-9F53-4899-A165-1562B4D95638.jpeg
    CB8800EA-9F53-4899-A165-1562B4D95638.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 update: I can finally relate to why people get annoyed by their tuxedo urchins. Last night I found my urchin had moved the frag, and corrected it. This morning, the urchin had knocked the frag over again it seems. Anyways, the zoa polyps still haven’t opened at all.

I’m worried more and more about the prospect of these being dead.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 update: I can finally relate to why people get annoyed by their tuxedo urchins. Last night I found my urchin had moved the frag, and corrected it. This morning, the urchin had knocked the frag over again it seems. Anyways, the zoa polyps still haven’t opened at all.

I’m worried more and more about the prospect of these being dead.
If the Urchin moved them they are probably still adjusting, you blow water on Zoas and they'll close.

Drumstin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen zoas that were upside down with no light, microscopic and barely there open up again way later. Don’t give up unless the dissolve.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back