Zoa poisening

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit stressed right now lol so tried changing my tank around so anoying cudnt get ithowi wanted. Anyway handled the zoas quiet a bit whilst moving stuff round in the tank. Was in there for least an hour, whats the chances of getting poisened?? Didnt realize they were so dangerous if handled stupidly till after i handled them.
29d7f7fd8ed0fe40aadd8f9f05fd4a19.jpg

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you did this last night like your picture states.

OP
OP
J

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not sick you're ok. Palys are worse. I'm not an expert on this but they don't always release toxin as I understand it.
I still feel fine. Jus got a wee bit stressed reading it on google lol. Think they rekon hf hour ud notice if u did get poisened

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have fly like symptoms in a day.

You pic said 11:something pm. What time zone are you in?

It's not common. Just big news when it happens.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have an open wound, swallowed water or splashed water into your eye I am doubt there will be any issue. I keep SunnyD's and Rastas larger colonies and handle them all the time, have been doing so for many years. Be smart about handle zoanthids and palys, just use common sense.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems palytoxin cannot enter through the skin. I have handled my grandis palys quite a bit without getting poisoned. Just dont boil the rock they are on, and wear gloves and goggles if you plan to frag them.

OP
OP
J

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have fly like symptoms in a day.

You pic said 11:something pm. What time zone are you in?

It's not common. Just big news when it happens.
Im west australian time zone. 12.45pm here at the moment think u are 3 hours ahead of me. So yeah i posted the post at 11.15 and u had replyd by 12.15am my time lol. So wud b that night befpre fpr u but same night still fpr me lol

OP
OP
J

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have an open wound, swallowed water or splashed water into your eye I am doubt there will be any issue. I keep SunnyD's and Rastas larger colonies and handle them all the time, have been doing so for many years. Be smart about handle zoanthids and palys, just use common sense.
Great to know thank you

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still feel fine. Jus got a wee bit stressed reading it on google lol. Think they rekon hf hour ud notice if u did get poisened
Seems you're fine, but as a general rule, you must stop when you get a coppery taste in the mouth. Also, don't--and I mean do not--leave them out on a metal halide to kill them. A friend of mine along with myself and several others were watching a movie and were all sent to the hospital, we all nearly, uh, moved on. See, my friend was annoyed with a zoa colony so he left it on his halides to kill em overnight. They died, fast, almost too well... they had totally vaporized. Meanwhile, the vaporized poisonous fumes drifted downstairs, and we did not know we were inhaling dangerous fumes. Luckily, we all started to get queasy, so we got outta the house, and most fainted but my friend was conscious long enough to call 911. Whew, that was scary. Its the real deal, zoanthid poison.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back