Zoa Rehab

tyro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few Zoas frags that are not doing so well. Not opening and slowly melting. Over the past year I've been able to save some from melting or from getting choked out by algae.

I'd love to hear some other people's process in rehabbing a zoa or paly. Things that worked. Things that didn't.

Specifically the zoa I'm having trouble with is my LSOH. I bought it April or May with 3 polyps. Its up to 4 now and over the last week+ not doing well at all. Beside it on the same moveable rock is a colony of Yoda's. They too were rough. Same symptoms. Coral rx dip, moved to higher light higher flow. That didn't help moved to lower flow lower light and yodas bounced back but not the LSOH.

I've tried gentle and not so gentle pipetting and soft paint brush to remove irritant.

Original irritant was most likely a form of dino outbreak, which has subsided. I can't physically see anything bothering it anymore. What would you try?

It's a small rock with just the 2 colonies. The Yoda's could easily be removed if treatment may harm them.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lsoh likes
The low flow low light area the best, but other than taking a while to settle in to its place it likes stability just the same as other corals….
Most likely moving it to a new location just resets the amount of time till it’s happy, just let it be and it’ll come around

OP
OP
T

tyro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairy teeth where do you keep your nitrates and phosphates? Or even other parameters. My nitrates and phosphates are normally pretty high but over a week or so the phosphates got out of balance. But both have been rising. Got a few water changes coming soon to get them back down.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are nothing good or recommend….o nitrates and 0 phosphate, it’s a nano with currently no fish just a shrimp, and I add a lot of different aminos, phyto, reefroids and frozen pods throughout the week,
I’m actually about to start dosing nitrates and phosphate in the next week or so, literally in my brs shopping cart lol.
the tank has been up for over 2.5 years and been this way there whole time but trying to improve their standards in the n and p category more for my sps and lps, the zoas have always had nice color in my tank

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back