I've been given some stressed euphyllias (hammers, torches, walling hammers) who have receding flesh to try to recover - what would your approach be?

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been given a few hammers/torches frogspawn from a friend who was finding the flesh was receding on them in their tank. They're doing a bit of an upgrade, so rather than stress them further, they have given them to me. Most of them have some flesh on the skeleton still, but it's receded by about 1/2 the length.

I picked them up on Sunday night (it's now Tuesday). Everything was inflated and looking okay yesterday and this morning.

My tank is more new that I'd like to have euphyllia in it (4 1/2 months, but about 1/4 of the rock was from an established tank and everything else in my tank is doing pretty well, so I'm hoping it will be okay). I've got a doser for kH and regularly test for calc and mag (as well as the other usual suspects). While this tank is new, when I was previously in the hobby about 8 years ago I kept a tank with basically only euphyllia, so I have a little bit of experience. I haven't had experience with euphyllia who have had the flesh receeding like these.

My params:

Salinity: 1.24 (I will slowly increase this to 1.26, but the tank the euphyllia were from was 1.24 to when I moved them I lowered it slightly)
Temp: 24.8 - 25c (controlled by an inkbird controller
pH: H - 8.46, L - 8.3 (changes with light phase/time)
phos - 0.04 (hanna)
Nitrate - 15.9 (hanna HR) (tested before a 25% WC, so it will be lower now but I didn't retest). My nitrates are slightly higher than where they usually sit (~10) because I've been feeding extra nori to try to encourage my LM blenny to eat something other than a solid diet of mysis shrimp.
kH - 7.7 (I'm planning to slowly raise it to over 8, but it's not a massive priority with these new corals)
Calc - 440 (dosing is due tonight, I usually keep it at 460)
Mg - 1350

I've reduced my lights and flow, as I think the existing flow was a bit strong for the hammers who were already struggling a bit - the existing flow was folding over some of their polyps and it just seemed like a bit much for them.

Other than keep things stable, anything people recommend? Anything in my params which are concerning? I'm anticipating at least 1 of the torches will bail - the flesh has receded past the flesh band.

I understand the flesh won't grow back down, but it should stay as they grow upwards. Would you recommend target or broadcast feeding?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just provide good water conditions, light, and flow. Maybe a little lighter on the flow until they recover. I wouldn’t target feed. Broadcast feeding once or twice a week would probably be more than sufficient. Just watch out for bjd (brown jelly disease). If any develop any signs of it, segregate it into a separate tank immediately and perform a water change. BJD spreads very easily to lps and is nearly impossible to overcome once it’s started.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back