Euphyllia Flesh Recession

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Recently my euphyllias haven’t been doing amazing. They open up wonderfully, but the flesh has been receding on all of them, and the issue doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
Calcium was 380, just dosed some more. Magnesium was 1185, did a dose as well. Phosphates are at around 0.1-0.2ppm. Hard to tell, as all I have for phosphates is API unfortunately, so it could potentially be zero. I had been using a polyfilter until since yesterday; I’m not positive whether or not that would remove phosphates, but looking online this seems likely. Alkalinity is 8.3

I’ve had all of my euphyllia for months, I’d say ranging 8-2 months. I keep all my hammers and frogspawn on one rack, and all torches on the other. Recently a lot of my zoas were ticked beyond belief, so I rented a par meter and messed with the lights. I cranked them up a bit, so my zoas got 150 par at bottom. They were much happier after that, but I had to lower the torches a bit so they were getting about 200. Since then I have lowered the lights by one click since some favias were getting bleached.

Anything I can do to prevent more recession and help them heal up? Would a Lugols iodine or Coral RX dip help at all?

Thank you!

And before anyone suggests, no, they are not splitting heads. This is just flesh receding. The picture I attached, you can see where the flesh was, and where it is now just a couple days later.

IMG_9103.jpeg

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get better test kits for nitrate and po4. Hannah is #1 for po4 just make sure you get the correct one because they make 2 different kits. I like salifert for nitrate. Torches like magnesium and yours is pretty low. Doing one extra dose of magnesium won't cut it. It takes a lot of magnesium to bring up the numbers. Torches also love nitrates so I would check then asap.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get better test kits for nitrate and po4. Hannah is #1 for po4 just make sure you get the correct one because they make 2 different kits. I like salifert for nitrate. Torches like magnesium and yours is pretty low. Doing one extra dose of magnesium won't cut it. It takes a lot of magnesium to bring up the numbers. Torches also love nitrates so I would check then asap.
I’m aware that API is scuffed haha. Phosphate is my only API test.
I’m doing one large dose of Kent Marine Magnesium per day as per instructions, (1 ml per gallon) as I didn’t want to raise magnesium to fast, but I can definitely do more.
Is it worth increasing nitrates from 10? I usually like to keep mine at 20, but I’ve been told that around 10 is better.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9116.png

Here is another torch, this one is the worst I believe. The flesh is nearly directly on the skeleton.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another torch, this one is the worst I believe. The flesh is nearly directly on the skeleton.
That is strange. I am having something similar happen to one of my torches but no one can tell me what it is. I have a soft brown substance growing on the base of one of mine and it is dying. Can not tell from the photo but does it look brown on the base on the skeleton? Kind of looks more whitish in your photo. I am still trying to figure out if it is a sort of sponge or is it bacterial. I dosed heavy cipro and the receeding has stopped on that torch coral. I have also been hitting the brown stuff (not brown jelly disease) with 6% hydrogen peroxide and it seems to keep it at bay but not kill it.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is strange. I am having something similar happen to one of my torches but no one can tell me what it is. I have a soft brown substance growing on the base of one of mine and it is dying. Can not tell from the photo but does it look brown on the base on the skeleton? Kind of looks more whitish in your photo. I am still trying to figure out if it is a sort of sponge or is it bacterial. I dosed heavy cipro and the receeding has stopped on that torch coral. I have also been hitting the brown stuff (not brown jelly disease) with 6% hydrogen peroxide and it seems to keep it at bay but not kill it.
No, just white. I’ve definitely never heard of what you’re dealing with. I’m going to do lugols dips tonight when I get home, that’s something I might consider for your problem as well.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just white. I’ve definitely never heard of what you’re dealing with. I’m going to do lugols dips tonight when I get home, that’s something I might consider for your problem as well.
I usually cause more harm than good when I dip :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

If you find no "bugs" on the torch and all water parameters test fine (do an icp test) then I recommend cipro as a last resort.

I did a heavy dose and it stopped the receding tissue dead in it's tracks. Half of a head was loosing tissue and it has been 1 week now and it still has the other half of tissue in tact. Usually when an lps starts losing tissue it is a goner in about 24h.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually cause more harm than good when I dip :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

If you find no "bugs" on the torch and all water parameters test fine (do an icp test) then I recommend cipro as a last resort.

I did a heavy dose and it stopped the receding tissue dead in it's tracks. Half of a head was loosing tissue and it has been 1 week now and it still has the other half of tissue in tact. Usually when an lps starts losing tissue it is a goner in about 24h.
Never heard of cipro. This was recommended to me on Reddit as well. Would you mind linking the exact item you are referring to? And do you use as a dip? Or straight into tank?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is an antibiotic medication. You use it as a last resort. I dosed my entire display tank. I used about 4x the recommended dose with no ill effects and picked it up from KungFu corals. Many times the unseen factor in sick corals is bacterial infection. That is of course after you covered all other possibilities such as possible stray voltage, element overdosing (icp test), testing equipment calibration (especially heaters), nutrient levels, etc...

More info on dosing for lps here - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/in-tank-cipro-dosing.888786/

This is a good article more about SPS tissue necrosis - https://reefbuilders.com/2023/04/10/managing-tissue-necrosis/

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is an antibiotic medication. You use it as a last resort. I dosed my entire display tank. I used about 4x the recommended dose with no ill effects and picked it up from KungFu corals. Many times the unseen factor in sick corals is bacterial infection. That is of course after you covered all other possibilities such as possible stray voltage, element overdosing (icp test), testing equipment calibration (especially heaters), nutrient levels, etc...

More info on dosing for lps here - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/in-tank-cipro-dosing.888786/

This is a good article more about SPS tissue necrosis - https://reefbuilders.com/2023/04/10/managing-tissue-necrosis/
Thank you!
I actually ordered this from KFC, and am currently in talks with them about how best to go about doing a treatment! I’ll try to remember to post before and after pictures here.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely caused by your calcium and magnesium levels. Torches like higher magnesium levels a little above 1400. Get calcium up to 425-450. When you achieve this you can start dosing All For Ref to help maintain it. Make sure the normal high range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back