Zoa Removal

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a zoa rock with some nirvanas that I want to remove. Planning to grow out some hornets or utter chaos.

I want to keep the rock intact so breaking off the nirvanas isn’t an option. Is it safe to just scrape/squish them outside of the water and rinse the rock off?

pic attached

thanks in advance

FD1D87B9-51D8-4631-896C-E45EF75647A5.jpeg

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a zoa rock with some nirvanas that I want to remove. Planning to grow out some hornets or utter chaos.

I want to keep the rock intact so breaking off the nirvanas isn’t an option. Is it safe to just scrape/squish them outside of the water and rinse the rock off?

pic attached

thanks in advance

FD1D87B9-51D8-4631-896C-E45EF75647A5.jpeg
Send me the rock and I send you a new one to grow the new Zoas :)

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
‘Scraping and squishing them off’ is generally where people can run into trouble with them. If you want to remove them make some kalk paste and coat the rock (outside or in a well ventilated area) and melt them off. That, however, is going to be one big caustic noxious mess… and you still need to rinse it off repeatedly before it goes back in the tank. (Even if you scrape everything you see nirvanas will come back from any little numb of tissue you miss). Easiest solution here is to sell or trade the rock and get yourself a new one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back