Zoanthid eating spiders!!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't hitchhike in and move to zoas. Where did you get the shrooms please don't say aquasd
I got it from corals.com that I’ve used for years ….I blame them for losing thousands in coral yea I should of dipped but they claim they do so I trusted them I’ve gotten from them for years ….my tank is now a graveyard

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from corals.com that I’ve used for years ….I blame them for losing thousands in coral yea I should of dipped but they claim they do so I trusted them I’ve gotten from them for years ….my tank is now a graveyard
Zoa spiders are a mess and vendors can be super shady about those but that won’t kill all your corals unless they are all zoas.

Anything else is on you for not dipping. Nobody can guarantee no pests. And nobody should have to guarantee no pests.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa spiders are a mess and vendors can be super shady about those but that won’t kill all your corals unless they are all zoas.

Anything else is on you for not dipping. Nobody can guarantee no pests. And nobody should have to guarantee no pests.
I sadly agree this was on me

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But I also heard even if I dipped the coral the spiders eggs don’t die ? Sooooo

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I also heard even if I dipped the coral the spiders eggs don’t die ? Sooooo
Yeah the dip doesn’t work if the spiders themselves are imbedded in the zoa or on their eggs. That one is on the vendor. You would have to quarantine and observe and hardly anyone is going to do that for zoas. At least I wouldn’t

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the dip doesn’t work if the spiders themselves are imbedded in the zoa or on their eggs. That one is on the vendor. You would have to quarantine and observe and hardly anyone is going to do that for zoas. At least I wouldn’t
I thought now I have no choice but to empty the water let it dry out maybe that will kill the bugs ?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought now I have no choice but to empty the water let it dry out maybe that will kill the bugs ?
What a nightmare those things are. Can you get a wrasse that will eat them?

The yellow coris wrasse stays small and eats everything. Leopard wrasse is good too. Or maybe a 4 or 6 line also?

It would only work with a very small tank but you could also try dipping the rocks every few days. I'm not sure what the reproduction cycle is. If you can kill them with a dip after all eggs are hatched and before they can reproduce that's a winner. Seems like way to much work though.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The yellow coris wrasse stays small and eats everything. Leopard wrasse is good too. Or maybe a 4 or 6 line also?

It would only work with a very small tank but you could also try dipping the rocks every few days. I'm not sure what the reproduction cycle is. If you can kill them with a dip after all eggs are hatched and before they can reproduce that's a winner. Seems like way to much work though.
I have a yellow coris wrasse and trust me he’s eating them but I just think they’re just so many ….he constantly picks at the rocks his stomach is so fat and I barley feed him healthy as can be

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems like a lot of work…..I guess calling it quits sadly

djc9364

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too bought from AquaSD and my tank is a disaster with Zoa Spiders. I dip my corals, and have never had an issue with pests until I bought from AquaSD. …lesson learned, stick with LFS

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too bought from AquaSD and my tank is a disaster with Zoa Spiders. I dip my corals, and have never had an issue with pests until I bought from AquaSD. …lesson learned, stick with LFS
They refunded my money my tank is done but I think the spiders die off obviously when they have no coral left….so I’m gonna start up again hopefully they honor it still since it’s been 5 months and I haven’t used the credit obviously because my tank was completely dying..I will be double dipping for now on lesson learned I just trusted them

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are no joke sorry man I had so many zoas die …but I think also they eat other corals because I lost a lot of other stuff that I had for awhile after getting this one rock that had these dumb. Shrooms on them completely not even worth it ..,,I also found a nudibranches 2 months later..,,,I’m gonna try and start coral again since I think my coris wrasse took them out…,he’s huge now and I barley feed lol prayers b with me I can’t afford to lose 2gs again

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things swim so creepy

Attachments

• A0F32629-D634-4CF7-A1ED-03E0ADF06ED2.png
    A0F32629-D634-4CF7-A1ED-03E0ADF06ED2.png
    561 KB · Views: 35

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s crazy is dip won’t kill the eggs….I just literally didn’t add any coral for 5 months ….my theory and I’m praying is they died out like I said my coris wrasse is a fat pig so he’s eating something ….I’ll keep you posted since I feel like there’s no info on these spiders how long they die ..a lot of people told me to start over crazy

djc9364

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s crazy is dip won’t kill the eggs….I just literally didn’t add any coral for 5 months ….my theory and I’m praying is they died out like I said my coris wrasse is a fat pig so he’s eating something ….I’ll keep you posted since I feel like there’s no info on these spiders how long they die ..a lot of people told me to start over crazy
Please let me know if you have success. I have a wrasse on order with my LFS. I used Interceptor…the heart worm medicine for dogs to try and kill them. I lost so many hammer corals, Zia’s, Duncan’s, etc.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if you have success. I have a wrasse on order with my LFS. I used Interceptor…the heart worm medicine for dogs to try and kill them. I lost so many hammer corals, Zia’s, Duncan’s, etc.
We’ll I just added new corals today after about 4-5 months ….noticed my coris wrasse eat something so big off the rock he couldn’t even swole it at first he kept it in his throat with his mouth wide open for 5 min so he is obviously still eating these pests and I believe he’s doing a great job bc he is extremely fat and I don’t feed much

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ll let you know how my new corals do I just checked parameters everything is FINE if they die I unfortunately have to quit because idk what else to do but at this point start over ….whatever hitchhikers got in here the spiders the nudibranches completely killed my tank

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to note I bet new info comes out saying they don’t just eat zoas because my hammers and torch coral got destroyed also and that hammer I had in there since week 3 for a year there’s very little info on these guys my lfs owner been doing this forever says he just heard about them the first time a few months ago so I doubt there’s much info

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back