Zoanthid eating spiders!!

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Look, all companies make mistakes or find themselves in a situation where systemic or product flaws cause issues. The right thing is to inform impacted customers and proactively offer support, advice on how the to handle a situation, etc.

None of that happened here.

That is literally the only gripe I have. I consult on brand management. A simple email with info, details on ways to mitigate the issue, a number to call or email with questions and a coupon for a discount with a sincere apology would have turned this issue into a brand building moment.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was super harsh on the phone. Fed me a bunch of “we sell thousands of corals, we can’t guarantee no pests” (I totally agree but these are horrible).

This is the problem to me. Not that they cant "guarantee" no pests. I really dont expect any chop shop to be able to make that guarantee, but in my opinion they are using volume of sales for a complete lack of concern. The amount of spiders they sent out to so many people should have been noticed somewhere along the line with even a cursory glance at the coral before bagging it up to notice there was an issue. They either cant be bothered to do that or they dont care and use the volume as their fallback.

If i buy a mass market automobile(ie chevy truck) and the wheels fall off when i drive it off the lot i dont want to hear from the dealer "we sell thousands of trucks".....i want to hear a lot of apologies for their lack of quality control, when i am getting my replacement truck, and what they are doing to compensate me for my trouble.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the ebay
Polish_20210422_194042368.jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crazy thing is they still have a sale coming up this weekend and haven't said anything ab the pests.

Idk much about zoa spiders but am I correct in assuming if I were to buy SPS it wouldn't have the zoa spiders. Seems like a simple question but I think I may be incorrect

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly many different types of "spiders" and can eat a variety of coral. I have never seen any causing issues with anything but zoas. Someone posted today they got monti nudis from ASD though....

In any case if they cant be bothered to notice huge infestations of zoa spiders i doubt they can be bothered to notice any aefw or red bugs....so if i was buying acros that would be my larger concern.

ReefMan692

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a lot of these companies are doing is not good business on the customer service end. Ive had some pretty rough experiences at various companies involving doas and things of that nature.

Obviously their QT practices havent been up to snuff, but i dont think many would complain if they were properly apologized too and promptly taken care of. After all, its always our own responsibility to run our own QT regime, and any company who sells you livestock will tell you that.

So its one thing to rush inventory in and out and be lazy its another to be incompetent as a business and drop the ball on what should be the easy part: customer service!

Sadly, too often it is the case

Last edited:

FooFoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I found some of these nasty things in some corals I received like 2 months ago. I noticed they weren’t doing so good so I have moved them and cleaned them but never dipped them.... well I deff learned the hard way. Today during my water change I pulled one of the unhappy frags out of the water to brush it off and noticed legs poking out of the head of the closed zoa. I placed the frag in a different bowl with some coral Rx for 5 mins and 20+ spiders came off. There was only one polyp left on the colony so I threw that one away. I have about 15 other small frags, should I just put all my zoas in the QT or just the ones that look unhappy? I dipped them all today and didn’t see any on anything else but I want to get rid of these suckers ASAP
7D857CAC-095E-4DC0-9AD7-6020E8B136A8.jpeg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I found some of these nasty things in some corals I received like 2 months ago. I noticed they weren’t doing so good so I have moved them and cleaned them but never dipped them.... well I deff learned the hard way. Today during my water change I pulled one of the unhappy frags out of the water to brush it off and noticed legs poking out of the head of the closed zoa. I placed the frag in a different bowl with some coral Rx for 5 mins and 20+ spiders came off. There was only one polyp left on the colony so I threw that one away. I have about 15 other small frags, should I just put all my zoas in the QT or just the ones that look unhappy? I dipped them all today and didn’t see any on anything else but I want to get rid of these suckers ASAP
Dip them and put in qt.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal is the only way to eradicate them, aside from introducing a natural predator. Good luck!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but I just got a colony online and found 2 spiders on a mushroom colony! Now 1 weeks later my zoas are not opening I see my coris wrasse constantly at my zoa colony he is eating away something and loving it…do these things just affect zoas or all corals ?! Freaking out bc I’m seeing bad info about them!! Also do these have actual webs on the zoas? I used a turkey blaster and saw all kinds of crazy stuff come up….

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but I just got a colony online and found 2 spiders on a mushroom colony! Now 1 weeks later my zoas are not opening I see my coris wrasse constantly at my zoa colony he is eating away something and loving it…do these things just affect zoas or all corals ?! Freaking out bc I’m seeing bad info about them!! Also do these have actual webs on the zoas? I used a turkey blaster and saw all kinds of crazy stuff come up….
They can't hitchhike in and move to zoas. Where did you get the shrooms please don't say aquasd

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different types of sea spiders. I believe that Zoanthid eating spiders are the most common, but I have seen others eating Acropora.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These minute tiny spiders generally crawl into the core of the zoa and eat its way out

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly many different types of "spiders" and can eat a variety of coral. I have never seen any causing issues with anything but zoas. Someone posted today they got monti nudis from ASD though....

In any case if they cant be bothered to notice huge infestations of zoa spiders i doubt they can be bothered to notice any aefw or red bugs....so if i was buying acros that would be my larger concern.
I’ve gotten monti nudis from them before. Bought one monti frag and the underside was covered in them. I’ve also gotten zoa eating nudis and spiders from them. It’s really disappointing since they’re a local store to me and it makes me want to do my business elsewhere.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten monti nudis from them before. Bought one monti frag and the underside was covered in them. I’ve also gotten zoa eating nudis and spiders from them. It’s really disappointing since they’re a local store to me and it makes me want to do my business elsewhere.
Than I would. They where called out pulled down zoas on thier site and moved them to eBay. Shady

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update ! After a few months all my coral died when parameters were fine !!! All fish fine !! Corals.com you say you dip your corals yet it’s so weird that I bought a coral from you that I saw spiders on days later that I thought I caught …well dumb me for not dipping but I trusted these guys I’ve gotten from them for 8 years …he gave me a 300 dollar credit but I lost thousands in coral …8 years getting from them ….idk what to do but my only choice is to start over?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back