Zoanthid, Palythoa, Palyanthid

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the differences, and do they all have Palytoxin? I like to have gardens, several of a kind together. Would these live in harmony?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are the differences, and do they all have Palytoxin? I like to have gardens, several of a kind together. Would these live in harmony?
I have a tank full of all and they blend well
As for paly toxins, it’s often derived from mishandling. We don’t cook rock with zoa, grab them with bare hands and not wash your hands, and cutting zoa without proper protection (gloves, masks and safety glasses)
Risk is there but low and I’ve handled all over 3 decades without incident

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank full of all and they blend well
As for paly toxins, it’s often derived from mishandling. We don’t cook rock with zoa, grab them with bare hands and not wash your hands, and cutting zoa without proper protection (gloves, masks and safety glasses)
Risk is there but low and I’ve handled all over 3 decades without incident
so sorry I wanted to reply to you before but I work a lot. I would love to see your tank if you are comfortable, esp the Zoas you have.

Here are some Zoa/Paly I want

Spiderman Zoa
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Whammin Watermellon Zoa
s-l1600 (7).jpg

Armor of the Gods Zoa
s-l1600 (8).jpg

This is where it gets iffy on the type

Nuclear Death Palyanthid is what it is listed as
s-l1600 (9).jpg

Bowser Palythoa
s-l1600 (10).jpg

I think Zoa/Paly are so beautiful and have so many color morphs. You have been around them so much. I have a question. Can you put 2 kinds of zoa together and they have a 3 kind. Like as in a baby of the other 2? I wanted to see if I can breed kinds people have never seen.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
maybe one of you guys can tell me. If you have more than one kind of Zoa next to each other will they breed and make a new kind of zoa? I'm thinking it has to be true with the millions of color morphs out there.
Never had this happen and I have colonies and a zoa garden.

zoa garden.jpg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an example of a morph due to high lighting. The first image is how I originally received the frag, and the second (multiple Zoas) is how they look with high light and lower nitrate <1ppm, about a year later. I’m slowly trying to bring them back to the original coloration by providing slightly less light and increasing feeding, while making sure I don’t drastically change anything else. I’ve recently noticed the black is starting to return, so I’m hopeful :)

Attachments

• 4F4C24A4-85A3-4721-A199-932261279C51.png
    4F4C24A4-85A3-4721-A199-932261279C51.png
    578.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DE0C4823-2181-4ACA-A77C-DC6E64EE9237.png
    DE0C4823-2181-4ACA-A77C-DC6E64EE9237.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 40

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthus have a smooth mesoglea, thick blunt tentacles, and no capitulary ridges. Palythoa have a rough/sandy mesoglea due to incorporation of sediment into their flesh, thinner, spikey tentacles, and sometimes have capitulary ridges. A lot of what we call "Palythoa" in the hobby are actually large polyp Zoanthus species, such as Z. giantus or Z. vietnamensis. There is no such thing as a "palyanthid." As for toxicity, Palythoa are the ones you need to worry about.

so sorry I wanted to reply to you before but I work a lot. I would love to see your tank if you are comfortable, esp the Zoas you have.

Here are some Zoa/Paly I want

Spiderman Zoa
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Whammin Watermellon Zoa
s-l1600 (7).jpg

Armor of the Gods Zoa
s-l1600 (8).jpg

This is where it gets iffy on the type

Nuclear Death Palyanthid is what it is listed as
s-l1600 (9).jpg

Bowser Palythoa
s-l1600 (10).jpg

I think Zoa/Paly are so beautiful and have so many color morphs. You have been around them so much. I have a question. Can you put 2 kinds of zoa together and they have a 3 kind. Like as in a baby of the other 2? I wanted to see if I can breed kinds people have never seen.
The nuclear death "palyanthid" is actually a Palythoa and the bowser Palythoa is actually a large polyp Zoanthus.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe one of you guys can tell me. If you have more than one kind of Zoa next to each other will they breed and make a new kind of zoa? I'm thinking it has to be true with the millions of color morphs out there.
Being close to each other won't make Zoanthus breed. Zoanthus can sexually reproduce by "spawning," or releasing gametes into the water column. Sexual reproduction of Zoanthus, along with most other corals, rarely happen in captivity. The reason that we have so many color morphs in the hobby is that Zoanthus are collected a lot.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being close to each other won't make Zoanthus breed. Zoanthus can sexually reproduce by "spawning," or releasing gametes into the water column. Sexual reproduction of Zoanthus, along with most other corals, rarely happen in captivity. The reason that we have so many color morphs in the hobby is that Zoanthus are collected a lot.
thank you so much for the info. It was a great read and I learned a lot thank you so much again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back