Zoanthids and Kids

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am setting up a new reef tank. I want to create a small zoa garden on a single rock on the bottom of the tank. Tank will be on a stand and out of reach. I have been doing some research and it seems that opinions on zoas range from, they are totally fine to imminent death. I will take proper safety precautions myself, and will do my best to pick zoas not palys but I guess there is still some risk.

I have two young kids. There is very little risk of them reaching all the way in and contacting the coral directly, but there is always the risk of them contacting tank water and then sticking their hands in their face or mouth or whatever.

Is it worth the risk? I love the idea of a zoa garden but don't want a safety risk. Anybody have experience with keeping zoas and having kiddos in the house?

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greatest risk of palytoxin poisoning comes from exposing the slime coating produced by zoantharians to air. Wherever possible, marine animals should be handled underwater and fully submerged. Do not lift them out of the aquarium unnecessarily. If you do need to transfer them, then do so using submerged plastic bags, container or bucket. Ideally strong rubber gloves/aquarist gloves should be worn when handling marine animals. Follow good hygiene practices e.g. washing and drying hands after they have...

THIS WAS TAKEN FROM: OATA Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back