Zoanthids die back then come back

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my first zoa’s about 2 months ago they looked just like the ones on the left which I got about a month ago. They were doing great until about 3 weeks ago and they have been dying out. It seems like the bigger parts died out and are now coming back because I see a few little things starting to pop out again. I’m not sure what the stem part is called. My water parameters are good and everything but if you can see coming out from under the plug is a little thing growing. It almost looks like a piece of coral but it came on the plug when I got it. It is not a zoa. Anyway I see 2 more of those popping out in between the new growth and I was wondering if that could have cause it to die back and it is taking over the zoa.

21A7A73D-D918-4722-939A-63855966829C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre getting stung and irritated by that anemone thing known as Aptasia.
To get rid of it, using a syringe. . . . . use lemon juice or better yet, kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and inject into center core and it will melt away

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As vetteguy mentioned, one way to get rid of them is using a syringe with lemon juice or kalkwasser. While this has worked for some, it hasn't worked for all--and that goes for all of the remedies. One thing i will tell you that you don't want to do is trying to kill them with a blunt object or pulling it out with your fingers. Aiptasia have a defensive mechanism: when threatened they will release spores that will turn into more aiptasia.

Probably the most affective way of killing them and ridding your system of them is Berghia Nudibranches. It's the only thing they eat, but are pretty expensive. There's a lot about dealing with aiptasia on R2R. I know because i am dealing with them now.

Here's a site that sales them and from what i've found have the best price. GL

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As vetteguy mentioned, one way to get rid of them is using a syringe with lemon juice or kalkwasser. While this has worked for some, it hasn't worked for all--and that goes for all of the remedies. One thing i will tell you that you don't want to do is trying to kill them with a blunt object or pulling it out with your fingers. Aiptasia have a defensive mechanism: when threatened they will release spores that will turn into more aiptasia.

Probably the most affective way of killing them and ridding your system of them is Berghia Nudibranches. It's the only thing they eat, but are pretty expensive. There's a lot about dealing with aiptasia on R2R. I know because i am dealing with them now.

Here's a site that sales them and from what i've found have the best price. GL

What do the nudibranch do to them to kill them?

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre getting stung and irritated by that anemone thing known as Aptasia.
To get rid of it, using a syringe. . . . . use lemon juice or better yet, kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and inject into center core and it will melt away
If this gets onto the zoas will it hurt them too because there is 2 little ones right in between them. Also should I take them out of the water when I inject them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I was feeding my corals earlier this week it looked like it was eating the food but it might’ve just been reacting to it hitting it.
It will eat the food like any anemone would do. You can inject it right in place

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat the food like any anemone would do. You can inject it right in place
I’m going to try the lemon juice. If this gets onto the zoas will it hurt them too because there is 2 little ones right in between them. Also should I take them out of the water when I inject them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m going to try the lemon juice. If this gets onto the zoas will it hurt them too because there is 2 little ones right in between them. Also should I take them out of the water when I inject them?
It should not but idea is to inject and stop. Don't keep applying juice. best to do it where the zoas are as the water flow will keep the juice off of them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There you go !!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back