Zoanthids question

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently gotten into liking zoas a lot. I have 5 frags. Is it possible to have a tank filled with them all over the rock? Is that how they grow?

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can have a tank full tank of zoas and the spread along the rock . They can also choke out other corals too .

That's what I was a little worried about. Do you know how fast they grow?
One of my frags is never open .I keep trying to move it around to a less flow spot but nothing seems to be working. It's not on a normal frag plug, it's on a piece of rock.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every system and coral are different . How long have you been leaving the frag in one place ?

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.
47C88587-AB8F-4E09-A537-5AF481A4AADC.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was a little worried about. Do you know how fast they grow?
One of my frags is never open .I keep trying to move it around to a less flow spot but nothing seems to be working. It's not on a normal frag plug, it's on a piece of rock.
I'd leave it be for a while without moving it around. Give it time to acclimate in it's current location. Zoas can grow anywhere, even on the glass.
Resized_20171117_205332.jpg

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it be for a while without moving it around. Give it time to acclimate in it's current location. Zoas can grow anywhere, even on the glass.
Resized_20171117_205332.jpg

Would that be good to do for all my zoas? Just let them be? Not that I move them but I just get worried..

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time.. which i agree. Need to take some pictures of my 120g, the floor is now almost completely covered but a few different types of zoas.

Docpayne82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some have explosive growth right away and others take almost six months before they settle in and start popping off babies.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have my mother colonies on the substrate in my aquarium. Over time I have added some zoas to my rock structures, however, since I keep minimal rock in the dt there really isn't that much space for them to grow. So, unless they're trimmed back the different strains tend to grow through each other. I decided to limit my zoas to one rock so that they don't choke out the sps and lps.

As for growth its a few different factors not limited to strain, light, dosing, feeding and overall dissolved organics in the water. Some strains just grow painfully slow (often times making them more valuable). Being colorful and fast growing is (perversely) a knock against some strains (mostly among those people looking to make a quick buck). But, this works in your favor as you can get mini colonies of common strains for a reasonable prices which will then grow out and cover an entire area quickly. Its very cool to do a 'rubble zone' with small pieces of live rock and a couple zoa frags. Plunk down the frags and let them do their thing.

The only knock I have against zoas (which I love) is that you can forget about adding pretty much any angelfish (which I also love) except Genicanthus sp. That's a trade off I'm willing to make though.
littlebigreef.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back