Zoas and clams

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoJosReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JoJosReef

There's some lovely filth down here!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
20,721
Reaction score
80,760
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if zoas or other corals grow on clam shells, specifically to the detriment of the clam? I am thinking of dropping a squamosina in the middle of my budding zoa garden, but if the zoas are going to start growing all over the clam and cause its demise, I might have to think of something else. I've seen other tanks with clams nested in the middle of other coral, but not sure if zoas would be compatible. Any thoughts?
 
Anyone know if zoas or other corals grow on clam shells, specifically to the detriment of the clam? I am thinking of dropping a squamosina in the middle of my budding zoa garden, but if the zoas are going to start growing all over the clam and cause its demise, I might have to think of something else. I've seen other tanks with clams nested in the middle of other coral, but not sure if zoas would be compatible. Any thoughts?
On mine, Ive had zoa, vermetids and even cloves attach and I scrape them off
I would reconsider another location

clam6.jpg
 
My derasa has got some pandora zoas growing on its side for the pas year-ish and it has seemed fine with that. Every couple months I make sure that zoas didn't accidentally bridge the top part to a rock to screw up the leverage of closing, if that makes sense. I want to eradicate them eventually because...they're pandoras... but their presence on the outside seems pretty benign from the derasa's perspective
 
If you have the chance to avoid doing that I would. Not the same thing obviously but I had aiptasia on my derasa that irritated it. On the other hand that part of the shell wil be shaded all day by the mantle and may prevent the zoas from growing up. I just wouldn’t want to risk it at all with a nice clam.
 
I don't think I would put a clam directly amoung zoas/palys on purpose, but if a few grew around the shell it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you can create a small bommie for the clam? Squamosina don't get very big, maybe maxima size fully grown, so you can create a small platform to lift if from the zoas?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new