Zoas dipping in fresh RODI and ICK

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a large colony (10" x 6" sheet) of Mohawk Zoas. My LFS (who is a long established, well known coral coral breeder and business owner) said that I could simply dip in fresh water RODI for 10 minutes to remove pests. Also said that even if there are any Ick eggs that they would "burst" being in fresh water for that long. Was told no real need to quarantine , that the fresh water RODI dip would be 99% effective. Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just isn't correct. FW dips long enough to be 99% effective would harm the zoas. Also, the zoas close up in response to the FW, trapping seawater (and random ich tomonts) inside.

FW dips seem to work MOST of the time because most dealer tanks do not have full blown ich infections and thus, the corals aren't covered in tomonts, and are just not really infective.

It would be best if dealers simply would keep their corals in separate systems from their fish. They all know they should do this, but what happens is they toss in a tang for algae control, or they put their mandarins in there so they can eat pods, and then the tank becomes a incubator for ich.

I house all new corals in a coral tray with no fish for 45 days before moving them to a DT.

Jay

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i do find dipping zoas in temperate rodi for 30 seconds ,swish in circurlar motion ,will show you if zoa eating nudis are present.
but will not kill eggs,agree with jay..10 min way too long..and he is the expert on diseases.. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back