Zoas growing weirdly

Nko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and got a Buttmuncher head a few months ago and they have Grown into 5-6 heads but look nothing like my other zoa colony. I’m not sure if it’s a lighting issue or placement issue or even just the zoas being weird but I feel like this would be a good place to ask

7C7C750C-0EA4-40E4-ADE5-E790B3A3A78B.jpeg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they are stretching for light. Someone else with a little more knowledge on them might be able to chime in

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's light. They aren't stretching higher, they are mating out far. It's like they want to claim as much ground as possible. I would more say that these are more of the invasive paly species. They are migrating far away from the mother polyp. I'd chalk it up to just a weird growth from these guys claiming territory

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's light. They aren't stretching higher, they are mating out far. It's like they want to claim as much ground as possible. I would more say that these are more of the invasive paly species. They are migrating far away from the mother polyp. I'd chalk it up to just a weird growth from these guys claiming territory
I sort of see what you mean, cause the bottom one looks like its attaching. Id expect the stem to grow into more polyps

OP
OP
N

Nko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this picture just after lights came on today. Most of the time they look like they need more light. I am using a dinky little light from petco because I am on a budget. And the light I was using broke

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that’s just how they are I don’t have a light problem at all I even rented a par meter and this is how one of zoos are

image.jpg

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this picture just after lights came on today. Most of the time they look like they need more light. I am using a dinky little light from petco because I am on a budget. And the light I was using broke

I used a Petco LED for years when I first started. Palys are hardy and can still can grow like wildfire using cheap lights. It's not until you start going for SPS and certain LPS that a better light is needed

OP
OP
N

Nko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Petco LED for years when I first started. Palys are hardy and can still can grow like wildfire using cheap lights. It's not until you start going for SPS and certain LPS that a better light is needed
Yeah that’s what I am using right now. My richordia and acan look terrible but my hammer looks the best it’s ever been. I think it might be because of high phosphates. The replacement light I ordered comes in 2 days. I got the current USA led light and I’m not sure if it’s a good light. Shouldn’t matter a whole lot though because I am keeping softies and lps

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I am using right now. My richordia and acan look terrible but my hammer looks the best it’s ever been. I think it might be because of high phosphates. The replacement light I ordered comes in 2 days. I got the current USA led light and I’m not sure if it’s a good light. Shouldn’t matter a whole lot though because I am keeping softies and lps

Yeah I had a marineland led on a 24" deep tank for the first 3 years of my saltwater career. I successfully housed acans, euphyllia, zoas, palys, xenia, mushrooms, toadstools and even a goniopora. Couldn't keep any sps though.

High phosphates can affect corals negatively, bring those down and you should see your corals start looking better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back