Zoas quickly approaching favia

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Title says it all...I have a wwc night vision favia slowly growing at the top of my tank. The orange Bam-Bam zoas are quickly approaching the favia and I'm not sure if I should try to move the favia or let them fight it out. I'm pretty sure the favia will win but id rather not have coral wars going on if I can help it! Any ideas? I'm assuming the favia has attached itself to the rock and trying to move it seems like a bad idea... the rock itself is about 2" thick so cutting the rock is going to be a challenge. I thought about gluing rubble between the two but thats only a temporary solution and it would most likely look hideous. Thanks for any input you all may have!

20210903_170451.jpg 20210903_170417.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some tweezers and slowly work the zoas off the rock from the edges in.

Or move the favia.

Overgrown tanks let most of their coral duke it out and the displays look amazing still.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure favia has a strong sting and let’s our sweepers. So if your worried about them losing I don’t think they will

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty sure favia has a strong sting and let’s our sweepers. So if your worried about them losing I don’t think they will
I'm worried that eventually the zoas will grow around the favia, leaving it nowhere to grow except the small space it can maintain with its sweepers. The bam bams grow faster than gsp!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The favia will maintain a space with its sweepers, and grow into that space, which allows it to sting more space free. Zoas' main strategy in coral warfare is to grow fast, but anything with sweepers can usually hold its own against them, and can often spread.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back