zoas slowly disappearing

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my zoas have been slowly disappearing over the last year, tonight I decided to use a flashlight after lights out to see what's going on. Holy smokes!! I saw saw that my zoas are covered with amphipods. . also saw atleast 20 or 30 bristle worms, with atleast a dozen that are over 3 inches long. What should I do to combat the amphipods? Should I be worried about the big bristle worms??

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some photos. There are some pods that will eat colonial stuff, but most of them do not. The bristle worms are safe - if anything, they are getting a free meal from the dying tissue. There are nudibranch that do actively consume Z&P.

Your issue is probably else where. Are you changing water? The Z&P will use up some elements that get depleted if you do not replenish. The only time that I have Z&P die off is when I get lazy with the water changes... but not all of them die... just the ones that I like and the ugly ones still thrive.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some photos. There are some pods that will eat colonial stuff, but most of them do not. The bristle worms are safe - if anything, they are getting a free meal from the dying tissue. There are nudibranch that do actively consume Z&P.

Your issue is probably else where. Are you changing water? The Z&P will use up some elements that get depleted if you do not replenish. The only time that I have Z&P die off is when I get lazy with the water changes... but not all of them die... just the ones that I like and the ugly ones still thrive.
Its the pods, I can see them eating, they are the jumbo variety.

U

User1

View Badges
Take some photos.

This would help for sure - I second!

There are nudibranch that do actively consume Z&P.

This is what I would check first. I've had some zoa's missing and found this to be my cause. I didn't dip. Mistake one. Then I noticed something moving, aligned with the color of the zoa (green) and snapped a pick. Then searched a bit and saw it was a predator. Caught it. Then saw another one, caught it. Then noticed some eggs. Cleared those, and that sealed the deal and they are finally gone. While I can't say for sure that is your problem bristle worms are not it. Good luck and post a pic or two if you can.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they brownish red in color? Sounds like it could be zoa eating nudibranch

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's a good fish to eat these suckers, I don't think mandarins eat the larger amphipods.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I get lazy with the water changes... but not all of them die... just the ones that I like and the ugly ones still thrive.
Spot on with everything, but man that last line... aint that the truth.

Its the pods, I can see them eating, they are the jumbo variety.

Not the pods. But any wrasse will control them and keep them in check. If theres that many pods, flow could be an issue. Lack there of. Pods are scavengers and eat what they can easily find. If that many pods on your zoas it's probably because detritus is getting trapped between polyps and the creatures you mention are cleaning up the mess. They will also consume the dying tissue. They actually would prevent more die off by eating the dying tissue instead of letting it sit there decaying on top of live parts.

nolongeractive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods do eat zoas. Colonies of zoas are shrinking since these amphipods showed up after removing all fish to run tank fallow due to ich. Some small colonies even disappeared. The amphipod population exploded and I, too, caught them eating my zoa at night. All the other corals are doing well, just not zoas. I witnessed this multiple times at night with my magnifying glass. And I can't add fish back yet! It's killing me. I throw Formula One pellets in there to feed the pods so they don't keep eating all my zoas. They fight over the pellets. The more I feed them, the more they reproduce and take over the tank. Five more weeks to go. Tears. The wrasses are going to be so nice and fat once I add them back in there >:]

Picture (taken at night with cell phone with flash): The last polyp left of a colony eaten. The amphipod literally stayed at that polyp eating it for over 5 minutes. To be clear, I know it was not because the zoas were already dying as I'm sure some people would argue. [I think that's amphipod :) I hate them.
Spot on with everything, but man that last line... aint that the truth.

Not the pods. But any wrasse will control them and keep them in check. If theres that many pods, flow could be an issue. Lack there of. Pods are scavengers and eat what they can easily find. If that many pods on your zoas it's probably because detritus is getting trapped between polyps and the creatures you mention are cleaning up the mess. They will also consume the dying tissue. They actually would prevent more die off by eating the dying tissue instead of letting it sit there decaying on top of live parts.

]

20171227_232908.jpg

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods do eat zoas. Colonies of zoas are shrinking since these amphipods showed up after removing all fish to run tank fallow due to ich. Some small colonies even disappeared. The amphipod population exploded and I, too, caught them eating my zoa at night. All the other corals are doing well, just not zoas. I witnessed this multiple times at night with my magnifying glass. And I can't add fish back yet! It's killing me. I throw Formula One pellets in there to feed the pods so they don't keep eating all my zoas. They fight over the pellets. The more I feed them, the more they reproduce and take over the tank. Five more weeks to go. Tears. The wrasses are going to be so nice and fat once I add them back in there >:]

Picture (taken at night with cell phone with flash): The last polyp left of a colony eaten. The amphipod literally stayed at that polyp eating it for over 5 minutes. To be clear, I know it was not because the zoas were already dying as I'm sure some people would argue. [I think that's amphipod :) I hate them.

]

20171227_232908.jpg
Yup, that's the culprit alright. I don't know why everyone insists on telling me they are not eating them when I can clearly see that they are.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

]

20171227_232908.jpg
yep yep...without a doubt ,,dem pods

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor might be your friend. Check out some of the red bug treatments for SPS... they are mostly reef safe except for larger pods and some shrimp.

Toxic727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll bet you’ll be surprised at how many the six line will eat even with his size. Those guys are relentless.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think it could be something different that cause the problem ?
100%. Water, light, flow, parameters, or possibly even some other pests. I've seen my share of melting polyps. Think about it. A healthy polyp in your tank... Getting eaten by a pod for some reason... Lets assume this is true. One night pod starts eating it. Would you not see damage? Next night same thing, pod is closed but no visible damage. Next night same thing. Now day 5 (don't know how many days involved here but OP said that the polyps were closed several days), all of a sudden polyp is only half there. Pod must have been really hungry this day I guess because nothing was missing the first few days.

Thats how polyps melt. They stay closed for several days because something isn't right. Something did not get fixed, and the polyp died. They melt and decay from the inside first. The skin tissue stays longer because its tough. Kind of like when people die, the maggots eat your insides first while your skin looks somewhat normal for a few days. (sorry for that graphic) The pic the OP posted above, that polyp is already dead, just the insides are melting through the skin. 1 or 2 days more and nothing will be on that plug. Pods might go eat some of the decaying matter though. For sure. Natures clean up crew.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back