Zoey's Reef is Growing Up . . .

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your luck Bruce.

If you're comfortable with trying it and it ever happens again, you can diffuse the bloat yourself with a needle. No syringe...etc required.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Bruce, hoping for your luck to turn around

I'd been so very excited about this order of fish ...
developed a bloat which became a raging infection . . . and became fatal.)
same thing exactly happened to my male coral beauty, I had it for 18 months and suddenly few days ago he developed a bloat and found dead on the next morning. now I have only a female. Lets pair your flame with my coral beauty and see what will happen.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. :(

Oh man, that must be very hard. Hopefully The Replacements will do better! Although I understand you wanted them all going in at the same time.

Sorry to hear of your luck Bruce.

If you're comfortable with trying it and it ever happens again, you can diffuse the bloat yourself with a needle. No syringe...etc required.

Sorry to hear that Bruce, hoping for your luck to turn around

same thing exactly happened to my male coral beauty, I had it for 18 months and suddenly few days ago he developed a bloat and found dead on the next morning. now I have only a female. Lets pair your flame with my coral beauty and see what will happen.

Thanks, everyone ...

Pshootr, I really did want them going in at the same time - adding new members of the same species to an established community is ... risky, at best.

Amoo - great information, but in this case, I'm 99% certain that the bloat was caused by infection bursting through from inside.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Headed out on "Black Friday" weekend to one of our R2R sponsors and some LFSs to see what could be seen . . . and there was much to be seen!

As of this morning, the last fish from that weekend is now officially eating - if only eating clam on the half-shell. Given she's a yellowbelly regal, I'll take what I can get!

Here's a terrible look at her, in the bag:
IMG_0123.JPG

She's about five or six inches long.

The same shop had a tank full of dispar anthias on offer for ten bucks a pop - but there were some that weren't dispars. Same price? I bought five:
IMG_0129.JPG

Looks like they're going to turn out to be Pseudanthias marcia, which seems to be anything other than common in the hobby, though they have been bred in captivity. Really pretty, quite lively fish, and I like them a lot so far!

In celebration of the regal taking on a halfshell clam this morning, here's a video of the current state of my QT - overfull, and with a strong yellow tint to the water brought on by application of the "Trifecta" of antibiotics. (While I have lost a few fish this round, and most of those from bacterial issues, it's been nowhere near as bad as the last trip through - and I strongly suspect that's due to beginning antibiotic treatment on the first night home.):

You can see the male P. marcia performing some courtship displays; with a blood-red delta marking at the fringe of his tail, he dashes straight down through the water column. That red delta can come and go within seconds.

Pretty cool stuff!

~Bruce

U

User1

View Badges
As of this morning, the last fish from that weekend is now officially eating - if only eating clam on the half-shell. Given she's a yellowbelly regal, I'll take what I can get!

Nice Regal. Always nice to see them - especially in your video. It gives a nice perspective on their size. I always figured they are on the smaller size right around say a Flame Angel. Nope.

Thanks for sharing - looks like you have a really nice one!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone!

@saf1, this one's about five or six inches, and fairly thick. They grow to nine or more, and I've seen a couple that big, with huge daggers on their cheeks proclaiming their masculinity. Impressive fish!

IMO every reef should have an Angel or 2
or More ... lol
Beautiful fish !!

Since the tank was built, in part, to commemorate my lost grandchildren, what could be more appropriate than angels?! The plan is to have three flames, two Watanabe's, and the regal. So far, so good . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May your Holiday be blessed and bright, whether you're celebrating Christmas or the Solstice, or whether you've just got done with Hanukkah.

Take a break, and share two minutes on Kingston & Zoey's Reef:

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you guys could see this video on my iphone, where it's in slow-motion, and you can absorb every detail and nuance of the fishes movements. However, here's an end-on view of Kingston & Zoey's Reef during a midday feeding. I feed my return pump, and the food blasts out through the returns, so that nobody gets to goaltend (the way they sometimes do with the clam on the clip), and it's everywhere in the tank within seconds. The burst of particles halfway through indicates the moment that a thawed cube of Ocean Nutrition "Formula One" hits the impeller . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Fadi!

The copperband and regal are still "on the fence" - the regal angelfish is only eating clams reliably, though curious about other foods, while the CBB seems to be surviving on what she finds among the rockwork.

For the others, though ... I agree!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Special (long overdue!) update, in honor of Kingston & Zoey's Reef being chosen for the honor of "ReefTank 365" . . .

The regal angel did well in the display for a few weeks, and then ... just quit. Stopped eating. Took up hiding as a hobby - and was gone within a week. S/he was followed, not long afterward, by the copperband, who never did take to prepared food or even clams - - and the Aiptasia are returning with a vengeance.

The Marcia anthias are doing fantastic - two males are an issue, with the more dominant one keeping the other in a small space at one end, but their colors, finnage and displays are entrancing. The two royal grammas and three flame angelfish are distinct groups - rarely are they far apart. Have you ever seen a trio of flame angels patrolling the reef together? Almost schooling?? It's pretty impressive. Tangs and foxface are doing remarkably well - word to the wise; foxface lo grow pretty darned fast!

Hair algae is pretty much gone, something bryopsis-like, but without the "feathers" seems to be struggling, but hanging in. Cyano is rampant, and corals are surviving, but not really thriving the way I'd like.

Had some egglaying going on the other day - two different creatures, each producing hundreds of eggs: one in a mucous ball, the other releasing a strand of thinner mucous and eggs into the reef's water column:

Or just spend a minute or two fishwatching:

~Bruce

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back