OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ... out to my fave LFS the other day to score some medications, and hopped across town to another from which I rarely purchase, as everything there costs twice what it would anywhere else. They did, however, have a few sea-hares, and I've got a 220 gallon tank filled to the rim with just all kinds of algae (seriously... GHA, Caulerpa, Gracillaria, turf, bubble, Sargassum - and a few other things I haven't been able to identify!) Added the slug to the tank, and watched as he trundled off down the entire six-foot length - right into the embrace of my elegance coral. Tentacles everywhere, a not-so-tender embrace. I extracted the sea-hare, but he didn't seem to want to leave the elegance's orbit. The next morning, I found the slug in the corner of the glass, just above the elegance, unmoving. Later that day, I did see him about eight inches away ... and creeping back toward the elegance. After that, I didn't see the slug for a few days, and of course, assume the worst. Note to self: sea-hares and elegance coral; not a good combination.

Last night, guess who shows up, front-and-center, noshing on GHA?

Let's see how this turns out . . .

~Bruce

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL ... Nah, that guy rents out the basement. He's always here, lurking . . .

~Bruce

That's funny I'm pretty sure I saw him in my kitchen this weekend when they had to come and redo all of the new grout and fix close to 20 tiles that didn't bond properly...

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the first thing that came to mind when you said "Guess who showed up" was "Murphy"!

LOL ... Nah, that guy rents out the basement. He's always here, lurking . . .

~Bruce

That's funny I'm pretty sure I saw him in my kitchen this weekend when they had to come and redo all of the new grout and fix close to 20 tiles that didn't bond properly...

He's omnipresent!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your sea hare doing Bruce?

Hey, Amoo! Spotted that guy last night, happily munching his way up an overflow. He didn't seem too interested in the GHA, preferring film algae, but ...

Hey Bruce! Just wanted to say the tank is looking amazing!

Thanks, Rex! She's had some troubles for sure, but holding in ... just yesterday, saw a thread here on R2R about corals coming back to life after bleaching, so not tossing any of these weed-covered sticks.

ESPECIALLY down here!

Hope all is going well with your tank now Bruce, I know you've more than had your share of Murphy. Any plans to try a Quoyi again yet?

Thanks, GBRsouth! Have one in QT as I write this, and he'll be ready to move to the display before too long. :cool:

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are curious, below is a video shot this evening. Plenty of hair algae, plenty of Caulerpa, red cyano creeping across the sandbed . . . and a look at the current sorry state of my corals. (There shall have to be a larger AC for next summer . . . wondering if the extra humidity inherent with a larger tank didn't help negate the air movement from the ceiling fan at the center of the room . . . )

Immediately after that, I hit the tank with a turkey baster to move some weeds around. Guess that woke up the sea hare...

~Bruce

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Rex! She's had some troubles for sure, but holding in ... just yesterday, saw a thread here on R2R about corals coming back to life after bleaching, so not tossing any of these weed-covered sticks.

~Bruce
I actually have one stick that had bleached almost entirely around the middle in June/July and had grown hair algae in spots. Thought about cutting it but figured I'd ride it out since it was cheap and there specifically for the purpose of telling me how bad I was screwing things up. Fast forward to today and it is 100% colored back up. Not really growing and certainly not encrusting, but alive and looking like it did when I first put it in. These things can be resilient.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement, Jason!

It's pretty well charred in there at the moment, but I'll leave things be and see how it goes. (I've also had a few frags that had been in place for _months_ just ... vanish. I suspect the halloween hermit of knocking them into the deepest of crevices in the rockwork . . . )

~Bruce

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement, Jason!

It's pretty well charred in there at the moment, but I'll leave things be and see how it goes. (I've also had a few frags that had been in place for _months_ just ... vanish. I suspect the halloween hermit of knocking them into the deepest of crevices in the rockwork . . . )

~Bruce

I guess that happened few times in my tank also, I have suspected hermit crabs and snails. bought some sps frags and traveled after few days, few of the frags where knocked and dead on the sand or between rocks. or inside my gonioporas.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I hate when that happens . . .

My halloween hermit is pretty big - he's in a tiger sand conch shell, and not a tiny one - so he's an absolute bulldozer with a klutz at the wheel, clambering over my rocks.

~Bruce

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My halloween hermit is pretty big - he's in a tiger sand conch shell, and not a tiny one - so he's an absolute bulldozer with a klutz at the wheel, clambering over my rocks.

~Bruce
May be it is time to find a new home for him? or transfer him to sump ?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

A few months ago I was able to order a handful of Massive turbo snails. They are about the size of a golf ball. All of the hermits in my tank are reds with the exception of 1 blue leg which came in with reds so I've left him and just monitored him.

Two days after adding the snails, Mr. Blue leg was sporting a new house and promptly found his way to sump duty.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be it is time to find a new home for him? or transfer him to sump ?

Believe it or not, I've grown to kinda like the guy ... but thinking of nicknaming him "Wreck-it Ralph" . . .

~Bruce

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back