OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the plan - either there or Compleat Angler in Darien.

Thanks for the reminder about the tippet, 'cause I think all we've got 'round here is my son's 50# spiderwire braid!

~Bruce

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce sorry to hear about the parasites. Hope all (including the parrotfish) are doing well!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Drawman - everyone seems to be doing well except the Labout's wrasse, who had contracted ... something ... schmutzy and whitish that covered his head like a thick film. Nobody else has shown a trace of similar symptoms, and I hope they don't - the Labout's was lost about a week into QT.

~Bruce, now armed with size 26 dry fly hooks, hehehehehe . . .

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your fish treatment, it is really irritating when you QT your fish and have a healthy disease free tank then tank got infected after adding a coral or an invert. :( been there before :(

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clever girl . . .

I've tried a couple of times now with a baited size 26 dry-fly hook (have you ever tried to tie and bait a hook the size of a brine shrimp?! Not to be attempted after age 50 . . . ) with mysis parts and formless smidgeons of LRS, and the midas blenny has looked at it, kissed it, stolen a mysis tail from it ... and is still in the display.

Grr.

Photos for your enjoyment, and to satisfy my curiosity:

Pistol shrimp. He doesn't love gobies, and sometimes he hurts my fingers.
20180226_170203.jpg

Is this the mushroom they call "Red Devil"? That's the closest thing I've found. It does have a richly red fluorescence, with sky blue speckles that develop as it ages.
20180226_170219.jpg

Fire coral - attached to a piece of KP Aquatics Florida Keys liverock. Seems to be thriving!
20180226_170241.jpg

Are these pale brown / beige threads dinoflagellates? There are numerous algaes which have made their presence known with the tang, blennies and parrotfish out of the tank. Sargassum plants are growing again, as are Halimeda, Neomeris, Bryopsis, Caulerpa, wiry red turf, and several whose names I can't begin to guess.
20180226_170313.jpg

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine & fallow is now officially a nightmare. After 30+ days of copper, fish began to die - at this point, I'm thinking copper overexposure / toxicity. All wrasses, parrotfish, coral beauty and flame angelfish are gone, as is my kole tang. My clownfish isn't looking good . . .

The blenny is still pretty certain he owns the display, and has remained un-catchable by trap or hook.

Corals don't look too bad, for whatever consolation that provides. Below, a journey through Kingston & Zoey's Reef in the evening, under the blues:

There appear to be new crabs, and the blue coral banded shrimp has been sighted - and appears to have nearly doubled in size. Gorgeous creature, it's a shame it's so very shy.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Coppersafe and API - but never relied on the instructions on the back of the bottle for dosing. I've always been the "add five ml to 75 gallons in the morning, add 5ml in the evening, test copper level" guy.

~Bruce

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Coppersafe and API - but never relied on the instructions on the back of the bottle for dosing. I've always been the "add five ml to 75 gallons in the morning, add 5ml in the evening, test copper level" guy.

~Bruce
Very very sorry to hear this Bruce.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That throws a wrench into things, sorry about the set back

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wrench and a setback, yes ... and I won't say it don't hurt ... but I'm down, not out.

There are black mollies drip-acclimating as I type this; the fallow period for velvet is passed, and I'm going to "molly-test" the tank. If there's a marine disease in there, it ought to show on these velvety-black fish within a couple of weeks.

Strange story - while at the local Petsmart today, looking at mollies (theirs were in iffy condition), the young lady attending the fish department asked what kind of tank I had. "220 gallon coral reef". "Oh..." says she, "We don't carry anything for salt water." I started to explain that mollies can do very well in salt, and she said "I'd have to go and get a manager. I'm not allowed to sell you this fish for a saltwater tank."

I drove halfway across the county to get mollies in better condition. From a Petco. (The few LFS we have around here are almost exclusively marine!)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd do an update on the "brownie" colonies I picked up at my fave LFS. Some are doing well, others ... not so much.

Older brown colonies, shown above, as they are today:
Pocillopora is mostly a beige/pink color, with a little greenish, the acro here is still pretty gray, but has lovely polyp extension. Barnacles seem to be doing well . . .
20180324_132432.jpg

This guy is brick orange, and still home to an acro crab.
20180324_132448.jpg

Pale purple color. Most of these colonies show little to no fluorescence.
20180324_132508.jpg

Tips on this guy are bright, pale sky blue. About 40% of the colony has no coral tissue, but I have hope.
20180324_132603.jpg

Still don't know what to call this guy. Pale by daylights, it's red with green tentacles under the blues. Encrusting.
20180324_132641.jpg

This colony has slowly disappeared - there's a single corallite that appears to be alive. Sadness.
20180324_132734.jpg

This one had showed pale tips with green further in, but the green seems to be fading back. Shown under the natural light of a sunbeam that comes to play in Spring and Fall, but not during the Summer or Winter. Color mostly appears as a pale magenta pink.
20180324_161102.jpg

A few colonies picked up more recently:

Lots of color possibilities in this guy - and cool corallite structure!
20180324_132526.jpg

This fellow looks like it might turn out to be orangey, pinkish or yellow, with thick, chunky branches. Looking forward to see what it becomes! That's an Oregon tort next door, so you see what my phone's camera is doing to colors here . . .
20180324_132547.jpg

This guy looks like he may go toward the purple end of the spectrum - and seems happy to be in the tank!
20180324_141233.jpg

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real change in the news from Kingston & Zoey's reef ... Now down to rather few fish in QT, while the blenny in the display remains symptom free and in apparently perfect health. Corals and other inverts also appear to be thriving.

Spend a few minutes traversing the nearly fishless reef, while a friendly sunbeam bounces off of the front glass to add color . . .

~Bruce

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real change in the news from Kingston & Zoey's reef ... Now down to rather few fish in QT, while the blenny in the display remains symptom free and in apparently perfect health. Corals and other inverts also appear to be thriving.

Spend a few minutes traversing the nearly fishless reef, while a friendly sunbeam bounces off of the front glass to add color . . .

~Bruce

Tank looking Good.

I will still be paranoid about velvet, maybe the blenny developed immunity for the velvet, and he still carrying some of the parasites but showing no symptoms, meanwhile the parasites are waiting to add new fish to hit back again. I guess it will be safer if the blenny went to QT also.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Fadi!

I'm currently working on adding freshwater black mollies to the tank. They shouldn't have any immunity to marine diseases, so if velvet is lurking, its white spots on black fish ought to tell the tale.

It would be safer if the blenny went to QT - I agree - but I might have to saw his favorite rock in half to get 'im there.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdue update ...

The remaining fish have been returned to Kingston & Zoey's Reef, but it's a paltry handful; two Talbott's and three azure damselfish, one zebra-bar dartfish, the target mandarin and starry blenny, and the pair of watchman gobies. While the fish were away, corals were added from R2R sponsors AquaSD and Boom Corals. The AquaSD corals were delayed in shipment for 24 hours; all but three made it through anyway! Good job to the packers at AquaSD! Two separate purchases from Matt @BoomCorals, and I'm very happy with the way he "does" corals by now. Corals came in with good color and PE, and I'm pretty thrilled with three "blind picks" that I ordered from him as well. Sweet little surprises! Corals from both vendors have shown some growth, encrusting or increasing the number of their polyps as the case may be. I think the reef probably has most of the corals it needs, so now it's going to be all about growth and color.

A few new fish have been through QT, coming from LA-DD. Sadly, the kole tang I ordered didn't make it - never ate prepared foods, though it did "kiss" the PVC fittings a little bit, and had issues with breathing. General Cure was administered, but after the fish's passing I performed a freshwater dip, and two flukes were recovered. A trio each of zebra-bar dartfish and Rolland's damselfish made it through QT and into the display, though. The CB Rolland's are a straight delight! I don't often see the old zebra-dart, and the smallest of the new trio has vanished, so may need a couple more of those guys to make a decent school.

QT is open, and there are fish on order from Michael's NY Aquatic's Memorial Day sale. Will have to see how they go, when they arrive.

Here are a couple of recent photos and videos, just in case you had nothing else to do this weekend:

Temperature-acclimating corals from Aqua-SD - a "laundry-line" strung across the front of the tank!
20180406_103741.jpg

Corals from Boom - Hawkins Echinata, Red Planet, Christmas Mirabilis, Bubble Gum digitata, Tyree purple dragon-eyes, Tierra del Fuego and BoomBerry in the front row, two "blind picks" on the tiles in back. All appear to be doing well today, so call me a happy camper!
20180522_181801.jpg

Here's a quick FTV (or ... _nearly_ FTV):

And here's a more up-close and in-depth look at life on Kingston & Zoey's Reef (Tangs, parrotfish, foxface, angelfish ... they're going to be very happy whenever they arrive . . . ):

~Bruce

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good update Bruce, sorry about the kole.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back