Zoey's Reef is Growing Up . . .

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a red light? Amazing the things you see that don't have rods in their eyes to detect it.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to wait like a month, but I just bought a like $2 one on ebay from China. Any actual red LED will work (I've read that red covers over white LEDs may be detected). The Amazon one hits both the native red LED and the (near) instant gratification boxes. ;)

It really is amazing what you can see with the red lights. Bristle worms and pods and such just continue on with their business rather than quickly scurrying away from the light. I even saw a porcelain crab one night, that I have yet to see again. It's a whole different world and will you have you up at 1:00am every chance you get, just staring at the tank.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm . . .

And a bit of probing around uncovers one that does red, green and blue/UV. Double-duty at coral shows . . .

Could wish it did "white" as well, but I do have a white one, so...

Thanks for the tips!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Years' Eve, and life on Kingston & Zoey's Reef seems good, whether in the morning under the blue dawn

Or the brighter lights of the day

And a midas blenny, who usually calls to mind a music program of the 1970s (Solid Gold!!), dances for you

Happy New Year - from Kingston & Zoey's Reef 2 Yours.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troubles a-plenty this weekend . . . first, the appearance of what appears to be some sort of disease on the reef, followed by work demanding more of me than expected during the time I was hoping to transfer all the fish to QT to begin a fallow period, then ... this. (I may even start a separate thread about it, it's of that much concern!)

What you see in this photo is about half an hour's skimmate, and it's still running. I've been through about four gallons of RO/DI topoff over the course of today, significantly more than usual.
20180114_204210.jpg

Harder to see is the foam pouring out the back of the skimmer and filling both this and the return section of the sump, as well as the microbubbles clouding the display. What on the blue globe could trigger such an event?!

~Bruce

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! That's odd...nothing done out of the ordinary?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, wish I had a suggestion for you. If you didn't add anything, it certainly seems like someone did. Any pesticides or cleaning stuff used around the tank? Maybe a dishwasher pod? Food?

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pesticides to any of my awareness, and the food that goes into the tank is the same I've been using. I know that sometimes my son will put some "essential oils"? in a dish and warm the stuff - he's been using a version lately which smells like cheap soap and perfume. The boy in the back bedroom often burns incense, but virtually always has his door closed, so I barely smell the stuff.

Skimmer has quieted - hopefully it'll stay that way for a while.

~Bruce

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the ups and the downs of your system so we can all learn. Love the quoyi!

As for your skimmer overflow, lets start a process of elimination. The first thing that goes in the water is salt mix. Did you do a water change just before the skimmer overflowed? If not think about each thing that goes into your tank in turn. You'll work it out.

Mick.

Who loves Bruce's sign offs but is suspicious of Bruce's salt mix.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Mick!

The salt I'm using is Reef Crystals. Did a 30-ish gallon water change around mid-week last week. Might have changed out a filter sock? Maybe? Generally change one - or two - out every other day or so. They all went through the exact same washing-machine-with-a-bit-of-bleach process though, so . . . <shrug>

That quoyi blows my mind a little every time I look at him! He's not one of those parrotfish that'll ever accept a same-species companion, though, based on his reaction to a mirror. Or to my own presence in front of the tank. _Great_ fish, highly recommended (in a sufficiently large tank)!

~Bruce

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Quoyi if I can get one once I set up my system. (Might be a move of house first.) The system should be big enough though. (8-10Lx3x2.5).

Mick

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a pretty good match, size-wise. They're the only parrot I can recommend, based on my experience with a Caribbean striped parrot. (Not labrid-safe.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, due to an outbreak of what appeared to be a parasitic disease - not ich, possibly velvet, and seems responsive to copper - life on Kingston & Zoey's reef has been pretty quiet of late. (Go here for the sordid details: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/parasitic-life-ahh-finds-a-way.350488/ )

Sadly, though the fish have completed several weeks of copper treatment, the "fallow" period for the tank has yet to begin, as my midas blenny seems to be too clever for traps. At the end of my line, so hoping to pop in to a local fly-fishing shop to acquire a suitably small hook, upon which I can impale something like a mysis tail.

That's not to say that there's no life on the reef - you just have to look more closely! The below video shows a decorator crab, which came in as a hitchhiker on the KP Aquatics liverock from the Keys. The sharp-eyed among you will spot munnid isopods working the rock above the crab, and mysid shrimps patrolling the bottom of the shelf. And yes ... the crab is eating some Bryopsis which popped up in that spot only, since the tang, blennies and parrotfish aren't around to keep it in check. The little decorator crab is my new hero.

Oh - and there's a clip of a very sexy shrimp at the end:

~Bruce

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bruce, hit up Fisherman’s World in Liberty Square across from Veterans Park. They have a nice fly fishing section. Look at sizes #24 through #28 hooks. They’re extremely small. Get barbless hooks or use needle nose pliers to smash down the barb as to not damage your blenny’s mouth. Also grab some 7x leader or 7x tippet material. It’ll be practically invisible to the fish. Good luck fishing!!! :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back