Zoey's Reef is Growing Up . . .

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdue update ...

The remaining fish have been returned to Kingston & Zoey's Reef, but it's a paltry handful; two Talbott's and three azure damselfish, one zebra-bar dartfish, the target mandarin and starry blenny, and the pair of watchman gobies. While the fish were away, corals were added from R2R sponsors AquaSD and Boom Corals. The AquaSD corals were delayed in shipment for 24 hours; all but three made it through anyway! Good job to the packers at AquaSD! Two separate purchases from Matt @BoomCorals, and I'm very happy with the way he "does" corals by now. Corals came in with good color and PE, and I'm pretty thrilled with three "blind picks" that I ordered from him as well. Sweet little surprises! Corals from both vendors have shown some growth, encrusting or increasing the number of their polyps as the case may be. I think the reef probably has most of the corals it needs, so now it's going to be all about growth and color.

A few new fish have been through QT, coming from LA-DD. Sadly, the kole tang I ordered didn't make it - never ate prepared foods, though it did "kiss" the PVC fittings a little bit, and had issues with breathing. General Cure was administered, but after the fish's passing I performed a freshwater dip, and two flukes were recovered. A trio each of zebra-bar dartfish and Rolland's damselfish made it through QT and into the display, though. The CB Rolland's are a straight delight! I don't often see the old zebra-dart, and the smallest of the new trio has vanished, so may need a couple more of those guys to make a decent school.

QT is open, and there are fish on order from Michael's NY Aquatic's Memorial Day sale. Will have to see how they go, when they arrive.

Here are a couple of recent photos and videos, just in case you had nothing else to do this weekend:

Temperature-acclimating corals from Aqua-SD - a "laundry-line" strung across the front of the tank!
20180406_103741.jpg

Corals from Boom - Hawkins Echinata, Red Planet, Christmas Mirabilis, Bubble Gum digitata, Tyree purple dragon-eyes, Tierra del Fuego and BoomBerry in the front row, two "blind picks" on the tiles in back. All appear to be doing well today, so call me a happy camper!
20180522_181801.jpg

Here's a quick FTV (or ... _nearly_ FTV):

And here's a more up-close and in-depth look at life on Kingston & Zoey's Reef (Tangs, parrotfish, foxface, angelfish ... they're going to be very happy whenever they arrive . . . ):

~Bruce

All looking really nice, Bruce!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, did you get the Rolland damsels from DD? I've never kept them, but they really look cool. I covet ....

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, All!

Bruce, did you get the Rolland damsels from DD? I've never kept them, but they really look cool. I covet ....

I did, and I like 'em a lot. They seem to have a habit of moving a few inches, and then at the pause those long gleaming pelvic fins go to full extension. Fold & move, pause and extend. Charming!

Looking good Bruce! New light on left?

Old light. Very old. Like, billions of years. There's a sunbeam that visits the left end for a short time each day, spring and fall. It enters at an angle through the left panel, reflects off the front glass, and picks out the colors in a fun way as it plays across that half of the tank.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fish have arrived from NY Aquatic .... or, some of them have, anyway . . .

I've rarely seen fish individually packaged as well as these were. Bags of double-thick plastic, and double-bagged for good measure.

But . . . looks like FedEx dropped the ball - or rather, the box. Got a notice at about 5:30am, "Shipping Exception: Damaged", but when the package arrived, it appeared to be in perfect condition. Brown carton, "Live Fish" written on it, undamaged. Styrofoam inner liner, also undamaged - but what's this?! FedEx-branded plastic bags _inside_ the styro? I'm guessing that the original packaging - and possibly several bags - were damaged beyond all usefulness, and FedEx bundled everything up in a new box - without heating packs. (Not surprising, I doubt that FedEx keeps heat-packs around their shops.)

A few fish had passed during shipping, but most of those which arrived, arrived alive. What bugs me is that several fish just weren't in the box at all, and there's no documentation of what happened to them!

Photographed everything & sent the photos to NY Aquatic, holding on to everything . . . <sigh>

~Bruce

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fish have arrived from NY Aquatic .... or, some of them have, anyway . . .

I've rarely seen fish individually packaged as well as these were. Bags of double-thick plastic, and double-bagged for good measure.

But . . . looks like FedEx dropped the ball - or rather, the box. Got a notice at about 5:30am, "Shipping Exception: Damaged", but when the package arrived, it appeared to be in perfect condition. Brown carton, "Live Fish" written on it, undamaged. Styrofoam inner liner, also undamaged - but what's this?! FedEx-branded plastic bags _inside_ the styro? I'm guessing that the original packaging - and possibly several bags - were damaged beyond all usefulness, and FedEx bundled everything up in a new box - without heating packs. (Not surprising, I doubt that FedEx keeps heat-packs around their shops.)

A few fish had passed during shipping, but most of those which arrived, arrived alive. What bugs me is that several fish just weren't in the box at all, and there's no documentation of what happened to them!

Photographed everything & sent the photos to NY Aquatic, holding on to everything . . . <sigh>

~Bruce

Ugh. Sorry to hear. I hope it as all made good, but still disappointing.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bruce, sorry to hear that, bad things happens and hope it will be resolved soon, at least some fish made it after all this.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, they're still falling.

Between my last order from DD and this one, I'm beginning to think of keeping my fish purchases to LFS only. At this point, out of 14 fish in the initial order, three remain - one dispar anthias who eats eagerly, a kole tang who is pale, and not terribly energetic, and a blue-star leopard who looked pretty good while she was out for a short time yesterday, but has spent most of her time in sand.

~Bruce <-- is frustrated and sad.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, they're still falling.

Between my last order from DD and this one, I'm beginning to think of keeping my fish purchases to LFS only. At this point, out of 14 fish in the initial order, three remain - one dispar anthias who eats eagerly, a kole tang who is pale, and not terribly energetic, and a blue-star leopard who looked pretty good while she was out for a short time yesterday, but has spent most of her time in sand.

~Bruce <-- is frustrated and sad.
Sad to read this Bruce.
Looks like the Fedex screw up, screwed the fish.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a brighter (bright blue and yellow!) note, this azure damsel has decided he's a boy, and the other two, with their rotund bellies shall be girls. With two girlfriends, he's got plenty of eggs to attend to . . .

~Bruce

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Bruce, after catching up on your thread at least I take some solace in knowing I'm not the only cursed reefer on these forums. Your corals look really good though.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they did, didn't they . . .

Sadly, we had a couple of days this summer when our little window AC unit just couldn't keep up. (Didn't have that problem last year . . . ) Some of the corals are looking pretty bedraggled right now - and some of the "easy" ones look like they took it harder than some of the "challenging" ones. Montipora spongodes, for instance, is completely bleached, and green slimer is patchworked with sky blues and browns, but a couple of "deepwater" style acros seem to have taken it all in stride.

Next week is supposed to be cooler, so maybe I can focus on restocking fish, and especially on getting some algae predators in the tank? Maybe??

Sorry to hear of your own troubles!

~Bruce

Back