Zombie Fungia - 15 Year Stasis

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these little Fungia polyps (~1/8 - 3/16") while viewing the tank under actinics only last week:

12gFungia_041314_zpsc369c9ba.jpg

While it is not unusual for apparently dead Plate Corals to create 'babies' from the parent skeleton, this scenerio is a bit more extreme.

The back story is that these polpys were found on 15+ year old live rock that was covered by Pavona varians for years and only uncovered when a Ricordia killed off a good portion of the Pavona recently. I chipped off this 1" piece and super glued the outer exposed areas to kill off any remaining Pavona. Since
I've never had any Plate Corals in any of my tanks, they can't be settled planulae (larvae).

This is the rock that shows the scar where I chiseled of the Fungia:

12gFungiaPolypsCutfromPavona_041314_zps9256ccd4.jpg

Amazing that these 'Zombie' or 'Resurrection' corals can pop up even when the parent skeleton is in tatters and part of the live rock matrix.

There are at least four polyps and I plan to grow them out to an inch or so and then move them on (my tank is too small to have larger Fungia roaming around).

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures please. This Is very cool and congratulations
It looks pretty cool and very Interesting story as I'm really In to Plate colonies more and more every day.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding them 2x times a week with tiny food particles and they have grown quite a bit already. Pics should get easier as they get larger.

I'm curious as to how big they need to be before they break off their stalks and become free living.

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is about 5 to 7 months from baby before they brake off. My colony that I sold to my best friend just broke off 4 babies after 7 months and we have had the colony for over 8 years starting from one small baby and now 8 heads. Over 25 or so have broken off in the past 8 years.
I'm feeding them 2x times a week with tiny food particles and they have grown quite a bit already. Pics should get easier as they get larger.

I'm curious as to how big they need to be before they break off their stalks and become free living.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is about 5 to 7 months from baby before they brake off. My colony that I sold to my best friend just broke off 4 babies after 7 months and we have had the colony for over 8 years starting from one small baby and now 8 heads. Over 25 or so have broken off in the past 8 years.

Looks like I'll have to wait a good while, then...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back