Zooplankton having negative effects

PandaDives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone! So I know this question may seem stupid, but has anyone had any issues with zooplankton having a negative effect on their coral?

I mostly use reef roids and phytoplankton but occasionally will use zooplankton. However, I've started to notice a pattern.. when I spot feed zooplankton (Seachem), some of my fleshier corals (acans, candy cane, lythophyllon) will look like they're deteriorating... like in under an hour. This doesn't happen any other time that I feed with reef roids or phytoplankton. So until I figure this out, I'm cutting this out of the diet but I literally just spot fed my coral and some of them look absolutely horrible. My candy cane was vibrant green in the middle before feeding and all of that has disintegrated now. I took some pictures but I can't get a good focus.. I'll attach them anyway but if anyone has any insight, let me know.

PH 8.2
Salinity 1.24
Nitrates 10ppm
Nitrites 0ppm

20230402_165255.jpg 20230402_165301.jpg 20230402_165324.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those foods are full of po4, if the coral does not need food to live then no need to feed them, most are totally fine with just light. If the coral is not living in ideal conditions then the last thing it probably wants to do is grow, maybe check your parameters, that could be the issue.

Most of the foods you mentioned are dead dried out foods, if you do feed them try fresh foods, frozen etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PandaDives

PandaDives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those foods are full of po4, if the coral does not need food to live then no need to feed them, most are totally fine with just light. If the coral is not living in ideal conditions then the last thing it probably wants to do is grow, maybe check your parameters, that could be the issue.

Most of the foods you mentioned are dead dried out foods, if you do feed them try fresh foods, frozen etc.
So the coral was actually doing pretty well before this feeding. The candy cane had even developed a new mouth and was splitting off into a new head. The lythophyllon developed a couple of new mouths.. All of these coral have been growing and doing well with the feedings that I've been doing. The same result seems to happen after each feeding of zooplankton though which is why this is so perplexing. I check my parameters regularly including magnesium and calcium and everything has been good. My acroporas are even healthy and doing well..

Upvote 0

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow definitely stop using that . I don't even feed corals anymore directly .I dose some phytoplankton a couple times a week and that's it everything seems happy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PandaDives

PandaDives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow definitely stop using that . I don't even feed corals anymore directly .I dose some phytoplankton a couple times a week and that's it everything seems happy
Yeah at first I just had a hunch the zooplankton were the culprit, but this is I think at least the third time in a row this has happened directly after feeding zooplankton but has never happened with reef roids or phytoplankton.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the coral was actually doing pretty well before this feeding. The candy cane had even developed a new mouth and was splitting off into a new head. The lythophyllon developed a couple of new mouths.. All of these coral have been growing and doing well with the feedings that I've been doing. The same result seems to happen after each feeding of zooplankton though which is why this is so perplexing. I check my parameters regularly including magnesium and calcium and everything has been good. My acroporas are even healthy and doing well..
your po4 looks to be high and it’s the one parameter you didn’t list..the point I’m trying to make is that there is nothing essentially wrong with the foods you list apart from the po4 content, all we can do is guess the issue and try and correct everything we can hoping we hit on it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PandaDives

PandaDives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your po4 looks to be high and it’s the one parameter you didn’t list..the point I’m trying to make is that there is nothing essentially wrong with the foods you list apart from the po4 content, all we can do is guess the issue and try and correct everything we can hoping we hit on it.
So I did just test my phosphates and it looks to be 0 but I will keep the phosphate levels of the foods in mind. It's just the reaction that I'm trying to understand. It's not like it happens over the course of days or even a day; it happens pretty quickly after the feeding. It kind of seems like candy canes like more solid food anyway but regardless, everything seems fine when I give them rr or phytoplankton ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back