Zooplankton Refugium

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years ago, I put together an algae reactor using four feet of clear 3” pvc to be incorporated into 5 year mature 120G display with 40G cryptic refugium with mud filter. With intense lighting strapped to outside of 4’ high tower, I quickly found out that algae growing on inside of pipe obscured light penetration. Too much added maintenance for me. So, I included a submersible 3’ led light and grew chaeto and pods. That was 6 months ago, since then, I have incorporated the display tank weir overflow box of about 3G into an overflow chaeto reactor. Because I am all about recycling nutrients into live food, now my focus is to use the 4’ tower as a pod generator. I will leave submersible light for observation & pictures. Presently strapped to light is 2” wide 3’ long eggcrate which now has biofilm and robust large amphipod population on it. At present a maxi jet power head moves 300 GPH thru 3” pipe. Tower return to tank is 12” above display water level. It is my intention to run a reduced flow thru 4’ vertical tower using air bubbles, then periodically to turn on power head to dislodge pods and feed display tank.

CC7795E7-1EE1-460C-8510-2A6A887B0C7C.jpeg D02160C2-FD39-413B-82DA-C5D54E0B9E39.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish
Do you think this 4’ vertical clear pvc tower would get too much ambient light to be a cryptic refugium? I would only use the submerged light for observation or pictures.

I can see large amphipods on egg rate. Would I get more pods with an algae generator than a cryptic refugium, because I already have a mature 40G cryptic refugium.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 23

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems with the ambient light from the aquariums you're going to have algae growing on the inside walls. How things progress with changing light levels will be something to watch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back